Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3603 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What ever you do DO NOT heat the old seal's to remove them,Viton once burnt changes its chemicla propertys and if you touch a vinton seal once it been burnt it can cause a flesh eating condition and the only way to stop it is to cut the skin off below the infected area.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

O Just one thing it better to have the valve in the head bfore you put the seal on so you don't chance nicking the new seal with the sharp edge of the valve,this way you can put 1 wrap of tape around the top of the valve to slide the new seal over.Thats why I use a tool to push the seal on with.

Gotcha - and I'm not getting Viton seals - just getting the regular Yamaha ones.....the dealer never even heard of Viton...but yet they're all over the internet. Perhaps I should have got em, but anyway...it's not hard to pull the valve covers off to replace them if they ever need it again.

Gonna have to check the book to see how to remove the seals now, I'm assuming just pull?

Thanks man! Hopefully this paint turns out alright...primer is some industrial shit! The warning label on it is a little scary.... lol "Not for use by the general public, for trained professionals only" - I didn't even breath when I used it. Had an N95 mask on (said to use a respirator but I don't have one) so I sprayed it at the end of my garage with the door wide open, held my breath the entire time I sprayed and ran out into the driveway to breath when I was done haha :D

Full nut and bolt rebuild haha. Looks like it's going well.

Would it not be beneficial to grab a new set of pistons from wossner or the equivalent?

Looks like a lot of elbox grease here for sure!

I'd get new pistons if the cylinders needed to be bored, the only reason you'd need new pistons is if you bored out too big for the rings to make good contact, but the rings I have on my cylinders are beautiful...well within spec, and the cylinder walls look good too, so I'm going to use the stuff from my parts engine, just grabbing everything that's good! I may do a hone on these cylinders before I actually put everything back together just to be certain it's nice and fresh, then check ring end gap one more time before I put it all together.

Paint today.... wife's gone to school and the oven is pre-heating to 300f. lol :D

The bike is an incredible rush! I'm a newbie too..just got my license last Septemeber - had a few months of riding before the snow got too deep and it got too cold, but they may have been the best two months of my life. I just want to have it in the best condition for my ability and budget before riding season comes this year, then I can enjoy riding the whole time instead of fixing! :D

The wife's gone all day...should have the house aired out when she gets home. hahah :D

Bahahaha! They were super clean first, no trace of oil or anything that would smell up the place too bad. It's not the first time I've baked paint in the oven....the smell clears out eventually. What do you think the inside of the oven is coated with anyway? :D

Bahahaha! They were super clean first, no trace of oil or anything that would smell up the place too bad. It's not the first time I've baked paint in the oven....the smell clears out eventually. What do you think the inside of the oven is coated with anyway? :D

Enamel :razz:

Felix, did you not fancy polishing the valves and cleaning the ports out, heres the last one i done, a car engine but hey no different.

before

Picture016.jpg

After

Picture020.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

I cleaned em up as much as I could.... they don't stay that pretty once it runs anyway! :D Valves are a lot cleaner after I cleaned them and lapped them....just didn't post pictures, but got all the crud off them. I just don't want anything that'll cause pre-detonation problems, and I got enough off for that I think.

Here's a problem I just found out... since I had the cylinders sitting in the oven ON the cylinders....the heat caused the cylinders to shrink more than the aluminum and the #1 cylinder started to slide up!! Ahhh! So I've got it re-heating now and I've turned it around and put it on some supports to try and slide the cylinder back in..... live and learn!

Felix you will have to make sure there level to manufacturers spec, I know you checked the faces so will know if the liners were dead level before you started, saying that you have your old set to check, warm it back up, grab your lasses oven gloves and tap to re-align with a soft hammer or use a block of wood to protect from steel hammer, you will have to check all four. these things are set to try us.

Well I put some impact driver sockets underneath them right now in the oven, and the cylinders are sitting on those upside down, which also cross to the head face....so...theoretically they should just slide right back into place.... if not, the block of wood is a good idea! Then I'll be sure to check all measurements again to be certain it's right. :D