Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Actualy they loook bad enought to warrent having the valves and seats re-cut

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

E gads the exhaust valve seat's need cleaning up... and wont hurt to do the intake better get some paste and a suction tool to grind them back, this also mean the valves will most likely need to be re shimed.

Post a picture of the valves margin

Ok I'll grab some tonight.... but in the meantime... I got my tail piece fitted! Pics to follow....

Actualy they loook bad enought to warrent having the valves and seats re-cut

Ok well I might as well wait until I pick up that spare engine this week and check out the head after I crack it open, see what it looks like, then I'll use whichever one is better!

GSXR 1000 Rear Seat Cowl from a 2001 - I cut some notches for the front seat bracket and it slid right on. I'll have the new tail light mounted underneath it once it arrives for final fitting, but so far I think it looks awesome and flows with the front end of the bike much more than the square box end it had.
11784230583_d305c6cd09_c.jpg
Untitled by feliks.ca, on Flickr
11784235873_e34fdedb8c_c.jpg
11784395704_d07b728b31_c.jpg
11784246563_906500495f_c.jpg

Needs a small strip under the seat all the way to the back just to hide the white under the seat and some of the electronics. Either that...or, I guess I could paint the underside of the seat black.

I agree about the strip.

I see on the swing arm on the rear it looks scrubbed, mine is exactly the same. Are they all like that?

Must have been...because I took the factory sticker off there with a heat gun and my fingers....I didn't scuff it up like that.

Must have been...because I took the factory sticker off there with a heat gun and my fingers....I didn't scuff it up like that.

I thought someone must have tried to "polish it", it did bug me and I thought of anodising the swinger

thanks, good to know

Bikes coming on really nicely matey, i agree that you need some thing to go under the seat etc.

Keep up the good work

Look up on utube how to make sandwich parts with carbon fiber and plastic corrageted sign board. Basicaly you make the first part to fit outa the sign board then cover with fiber cloth. Shouldn't be to hard to pake a pannel to fill in the area from the petcock to back

Thanks Noise!

Not a bad idea DT! I was thinking about shaping some fiberglass out of some craft foam. I've seen that done before with some nice results... always open to more ideas though. :D

LOL thing is that sign boad is free realestate people leave it on people lawns all the time wind blows it away and they put up new hahaha

Got my LED tail light in (FINALLY!) only took over a month to get shipped here.... crazy.

It's pretty decent however, and quite bright. Time will tell how well it stands up to the elements... I'm going to seal the plastic with some good glue/silicone to make sure no water or moisture can get in there to speed it's demise.

Pictures:

11841141284_9c38b9aeaf_c.jpg
11840719495_6a8bc43679_c.jpg
11841013123_86e27960b7_c.jpg
11840730895_15452d65b6_c.jpg
11841517396_9f0d008345_c.jpg

11841026103_3dbe6661b2_c.jpg

that looks nice, the same shape as my tracker. ;)

how about getting some black plastic sheeting and you can mold it with a heat gun too?

Hmm maybe, with some reinforcement of fiberglass on the back it could work! Got the wiring all hooked up for the tail light now, but I need to get a bracket welded on the back to hold it on, just a simple metal plate will do.

Look's really good that! the one thing that really date's the look of the FZ is the width of the panel below the seat never liked that look even when they were new. You've done a real nice job! personally I could live with it as it is, just as you say paint the underbelly of seat black, if you put strips on would look better from a distance but up close they would have to be a really good fit to look good, you could try cutting you old side panels but I think that would be a waste. maybe find something nearer to that size from another bike and mod them ?

that looks nice, the same shape as my tracker. ;)

how about getting some black plastic sheeting and you can mold it with a heat gun too?

how do you do that, would make a slightly smaller panel of say wood then heat the plastic over it ?

Look's really good that! the one thing that really date's the look of the FZ is the width of the panel below the seat never liked that look even when they were new. You've done a real nice job! personally I could live with it as it is, just as you say paint the underbelly of seat black, if you put strips on would look better from a distance but up close they would have to be a really good fit to look good, you could try cutting you old side panels but I think that would be a waste. maybe find something nearer to that size from another bike and mod them ?

Thanks man! Hopefully it all comes together in the end... it's honestly just fun working on it. :D

how do you do that, would make a slightly smaller panel of say wood then heat the plastic over it ?

I think just cut some plastic to fit...heat it up, then press it into place, maybe I'm mistaken.