Removal of Head ~ Tx500

GarnZ
This post is 3868 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just checked out a 1973 TX500 head and it appears that I will have to split the cam-chain just to remove the head.
Can anyone confirm this?

I am also wondering now, is there enough room to remove the head whilst engine is in the frame?

The engine is running well (low mileage) there is just a bit of an oil leak about level with the two inside exhaust bolts

RegardZ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Not sure if it's the same but with my bike I take the cam cover off and then remove the cam shaft bearings and bolts then slide the cam shafts out from under the chain, actually a bit more complex than that but you know what I mean I'm sure? I then tie a wire around the chain so I don't loose it down between the barrels and then the heads will come off. Hope at least some of that helps!! And again on mine you can get the heads off with the engine in the frame, thought you could do this with most bikes? Perhaps not!!

PS almost forgot, LOOSEN the cam chain tensioner first, DOH!!!

PPS Have you tried this place The TX/XS 500 Forum? www.xs500forum.com.

Being DOHC, I would think you would be a ble to do it as when the cams are out there would be enough chain slack to tie up.

I'd suggest getting a manual.

I know that haynes never did one so it would have to be an original Yam one. I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

I just checked out a 1973 TX500 head and it appears that I will have to split the cam-chain just to remove the head.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am also wondering now, is there enough room to remove the head whilst engine is in the frame?

The engine is running well (low mileage) there is just a bit of an oil leak about level with the two inside exhaust bolts

RegardZ

is this a one piece or two piece head ?

is this a one piece or two piece head ?

JimR, It is a two piece head and my examination idicates there is no way I can remove the head without breaking the camchain as it appears to be looped thru the head alloy casting.

JimR, It is a two piece head and my examination indicates there is no way I can remove the head without breaking the camchain, as it appears to be looped thru the head alloy casting.

I'm now just doubtful about the removal of engine to remove the head? I'm sure someone must have done this job!

Note; most manuals assume the engine has been removed before any major work.

RegardZ.

Just looked up a thread on the net that says you have to remove the "SPECIAL" link in the cam chain to get the heads off, it appears that there is a link that is lighter in colour than the standard ones so you rotate the engine till you see the "SPECIAL" link then remove it with a link remover that Yamaha will sell you for an arm or leg of your choice. Hope that helps? Also noticed that many of the owners of these bikes say that there is a tendency for the heads to crack or warp after a while, might be an idea to check for warping/cracking when you get the heads off.

Slice, thanks for that confirmatioin... Now, do I need to remove enge from frame to remove head?

YPVS TONE, excuse ny ignorance .... Where do I see PM's

RegardZ

Next to your name at the top of the page you should see a red marker with a "1" in it, click on that and you should get a drop down list with the message underneath. As to your question about the head removal with the engine in, I have never known a cylinder head that won't come off with the engine in the frame but suppose there is always a first time, the top nuts come off then you should be able to lift the head clear of the studs, they usually only project about an inch or so above the barrel so you should have room to wiggle the head over them and lift it clear. Sometimes you will get the studs undone along with the head bolt and that will make it easier to get the head off. Hope some of that helps?

Don't be a stranger Z, come back and tell us how you got on!!! Good luck mate.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online