few nagging questions about my new 2010 YBR 125 custom

tonyhd
This post is 3868 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, Just bought myself a 2010 YBR125 custom and as it came with no service history and only 700miles on bike I am a bit concerned at the very low mileage considering it is over 3years old and has had 3 owners...

The guy I bought it off seemed very genuine so am more concerned about the 2 previous owners and lack of any real mileage. The bike is in good condition and seems to be going well but I would really like to find out if there is any way I can check the mileage is genuine.

I've never had one of these bikes before and as I'm only getting 55 miles per hour is this the norm and if not is there anything I can check to remedy it?

The guy I bought it from just bought it to practice and do his test on before moving to a larger bike so he didn't do any real mileage on it.

There is plenty of tread on the tyres and they are in good condition but I don't know if they are the originals that came with the bike when it was new. What tyres would Yamaha have fitted on it when it was brand new in 2010?.

Would the original dealership that sold the bike when it was new hold service records and if so would they be able to provide me with the details where I could check the mileage at each service.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Tone

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does sound a bit strange 3 owner's/ 700 miles! would have made me walk away even if genuine mileage

sounds like must of had problems that none of the owners either wanted to or couldn't ride it, the dealer should have service records its definitely worth a try but its a bit late to do anything about now,

top speed is often down to size of rider on a 125, sure you will get other replies to state this haha

Yeah like Tommy says top speed depends a lot on the size of the rider. As for the super low mileage, some people will ride their 125 every chance they get and spend all day out on it....others only use it to go back and forward to work or college, the miles may well be genuine.

i think the first thing you should do is give it a service (oil change, check the state of the air and oil filters-if it has an oil filter? , lube the chain up, check the tire pressure is correct and check the spark plug is looking good- maybe some other members can suggest other things you should check).

i wouldn't worry too much about the low miles, they may well be genuine. i have an 2005 125 and i think it's had like 8 owners including myself! People just use them as a way of getting used to two wheels before trying for their big bike test and others may only do about 5 miles to work and back.

A lady in work bought a scooter and has had a little go around her street and has decided she don't like it...thats another owner added to the log book.

Make sure you change the fucking oil and check the air filter.... these are important and might have been neglected.

Hope this helps.

Well as I ride to work every day on one I suppose I should tell you that it will not go much faster than the 55 mph you are getting. Mine is a 58 reg and current has over 15000 miles on the clock. It will do about 60 on the flat but that would be reduced in a head wind and with any sort of gradient.

The mileage could well be correct there are a few around with very small mileage on them. The advice by welshwan is good change, the oil and check the air filter. The oil filter is a small oil strainer that is behind the clutch cover.

On a more positive note mine has done 109 mpg over the last 2500 miles and does not use any oil. The electrics on the charging side of things have been and continue to be a pain. The only bit that is left to change is the alternator which should sort it out once and for all. So why has not been done before? Simple Yamaha want a cool £159 for new one.

The tyres are OK, although I did change mine pretty soon after getting the bike. If they are original they will be chinese and in the wet will keep you awake. If you change them you will stuggle fine the rear tubeless tyre as its odd size (3.50x16 58p). I fitted tubed tyres which for me has been fine.

Feel free to PM me if you or need any more.

Oh yes and enjoy it, for the vertically challenged they are easy to ride and just do the job (electrics aside).

Old river man

It might be possible to trace the other owners through the DVLA or equivalent, you might get a name and address from them and then you can have a word about what the mileage is. It's possible it had a prang at one time and the front end was renewed that would explain the low mileage if it was done through an insurance company. Just a couple of thoughts on your question, not saying that it is any of these!

As the dashes seem to be prone to failuer,it could have been replaced.

Another possibility is the bike was sold new in 2011 or 12 and as metioned by everyone else not ridden much.

Things to look at are1) the grips and levers do they look worn

2) the chain and sprockets have they been adjusted(wrench marks on the bolts) or does the sprocket look worn

3) The tires should still have some nibs left on them and look to see where they were made it will be on the tire sidewall.

Milages is not so important as long as you do all of the maitence now and continue to do it as needed at 700 it's due for a valve adjust,oil change and a general once over of all the bolts and nuts,steering head bearing adjustment, that is all part of a first service and might not have been done.

As your new to the site and we have no idea fo your ability to deal with whirlie bits,all I can say is the first service is not hard armed with a manual and a few basic tools (save for a feeler gauge) you can doo it all yourself.

You did the right thing by posting a hello first Good luck and welcome to the YOC.

PS everyone love pictis so post 1 up of your new steed

As above, pictures are king, if your handy with a socket set so much the better.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online