i think this shall be my last....

liquidcooled
This post is 6690 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

...winter commuting by bike! i've been on the bikes a long time now and quite frankly i'm getting sick of being freezing, soaked, riding on slippy crappy roads that deteriorate my bike, putting expensive tyres on to get no enjoyment out of them, going to my gf's with all the gear on then having to change into something better, needing a piss all the time because of the cold! :lol: think i'm going to go for a small 4x4, will be handy for keeping tools in for summer jobs i get, will be able to pull my gf's horse box, and will keep me warm! i'm thoroughly pissed off, and cold, and my bike's f'in filthy again! :angry: to hell with all the macho all year round biker stuff i always stuck with, time to wise up! B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thanks pete :) the top of what though :unsure::D i dont know how long i'll keep the suzuki, it's just one of the bikes i've always wanted to own. if something comes up and i can make a profit it would prob go, but otherwise, it's quite a good bike! the main thing for me is to start being able to keep my bikes clean, enjoy riding them, and use four wheels for all the running about. before i couldn't afford both but as i'm getting older i'm getting more money so it's time to get things sorted!

WHAT?!.....You Wussin' Out Alan? :blink: .....just kidding mate ;)

I can totally relate.......Today, I'm about to embark on a 130 mile trek over to Central Oregon.....

Going right past the SKI area where I've been skiing since I was 5yrs. old. Any other time of year, this'd be no prob......but seein' that it's ski season & my YamaHauler isn't quite sorted yet.....gotta forge through the snow with the XT :huh:

I'd rather be hauling the XT in the back of my truck with the toasty warm heater on....but such is life :mellow:

I think you keeping your eyes peeled for a small 4x4 to use in the winter months, would be just the ticket for you ;)

But whatever you do......DON'T get yourself a big Yellow 2-Wheel Bavarian Tank like Cap'n Namby-Pamby :rolleyes:

1 of those types is bad enough around here! :lol:

Alan,

I would say you have the right idea. This machoman stuff is all well and good until you look at the effort and cost's you talk about in terms of your bike rotting in front of your eyes, the hassle of always wearing shitty gear etc etc. Never mind the risk of hitting the deck through no fault of your own (and isn't that a big enough risk anyway on today's roads) but because the council haven't salted or a tractor has smeared the road with mud. That's why I only ride in the good weather.

Re your vehicle purchase plans, have a look at the Nissan Terrano, which is what my Ford Maverick is really. Optional 4 X 4, 2.7 turbo diesel which returns about 30mpg, tows very well and well regarded as a good workhorse in the 4 X 4 mags. They have been around a few years now so there are a few out there second hand, they just aren't fashionable so don't command silly prices.

Cheers,

Andy

Yup Al sums it up when i was younger rode bikes every where winter is a bit shitty down here as well mud etc all over roads, We now have 2 cars which means i dont have to use the Scania if i dont want to go on the bike when the missus is working. Mind you gets a few looks parking in safeway to go shopping in an artic tractor unit, mind you once the kids pass thir test it will be back to square one no doubt, as Andy says the Terrano /Maverick seems like a good kinda vehicle, Discos are very expensive for what they are and you risk being branded a pratt driving them, My vehicle of preference for a 4X4would be a Defender or an old Land cruiser,

Merv

My vehicle of preference for a 4X4would be a Defender or an old Land cruiser,

Merv

Yay Merv, would you tell my missus this as i'm looking for a defender 90 or 88" landy even as we speak but 'er indoors hates 'em!!

Please tell her how sensible this is for the winter period.

Cheers m8 ;)

...winter commuting by bike!

I know what you mean LC I've been away from biking for a few years now and making a faltering comeback. I reckon the roads are so much poorer than the last time i was on two wheels - potted, greasy, and SO MANY MORE W*NKERS IN CARS that just don't give a rat's arse for anyone else. Is it just my imagination, but, only about 10years ago I used to ride 12months a year on a DT with no probs at all even through fairly deep snow?

I don't blame you switching to 4 wheels for the winter. Since i bust my wrist i watch other bikers from my car and keep thinking how i DON'T envy them.

I think I'll keep my riding for the more reasonable weather too. :(

Yes Got to be the old workhorse the 90 was a great improvment for road use with the coil springs range rover running gear, but the old 88 on crossply tyres and the 4wd that you controlled was a good old machine and i thought better off road, I have not driven one for years now, but the last i drove was a new 90 turbo diesel which was the one of the first turbos went very well , the old 88 diesel eas a bit of a slouch in comparison, Also around here they dont need washing as everyone you see is covered in mud and tied together with bale string and fence wire, and has 2 or 3 dogs hanging out of the back,

Merv

Got to agree with Mervin on this one, although I would choose a series IIA or III over the Defender. The performance on the road might be better but it has to be paid for and the one I drive sometimes returns about 18mpg, and that's the diesel! It isn't much more comfortable inside either. Also agree about the Landcruiser if you can get one, but the good ones are getting thin on the ground it seems.

Dear Mrs cidered666,

A Defender or older 88" Land rover would be a VERY VERY sensible vehicle for Cidered to run over the winter. They are practical, easy to fix at home if garage bills are an issue, go forever and will keep him safe as they don't go too fast.

Cheers,

Andy

thinking back a few years my mates old man bought an ex army lighweight petrol with cut out wings etc

My shock came when we went to the garage one day to get some petrol and he took the bottom of the drivers seat out and ther ewas the filler cap, Yes the driver was sitting on the petrol tank, as i say Andy i have not driven one for maybe 20 years now

Mervin

most likely pal when you pissing around in the jungle playing soldiers ooor whatever you did , I was riding bikes to work on a farm in sun rain snow ice and any other thing that could be thrown at me, then working outside all day then riding home again with only a parka for protection. I thought jungles were warm.

Dear Mrs cidered666,

A Defender or older 88" Land rover would be a VERY VERY sensible vehicle for Cidered to run over the winter. They are practical, easy to fix at home if garage bills are an issue, go forever and will keep him safe as they don't go too fast.

:lol: thanks for that - she's still not impressed!

thanks for that - she's still not impressed!

Blimey! If I proposed buying another Landy my wife would be quite happy with the idea, so that's a bit of a culture shock for me! Keep chipping away, maybe the water on stone principle might work?

Mervin, it might be 20 years but you wouldn't notice much difference :( !

That lightweight, did it have dual tanks I wonder? I think some of the lightweights did. They were great, two tanks (the second one under the passenger seat!) with a change over valve. Very good with a diesel engine as you could then run white diesel for road use and red for off road (only off road of course ;) ). Keepers loved them, so did the skinflint farmers who paid for the diesel <_<.

Cheers,

Andy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online