Dead Divvy S

duffbeer1950
This post is 3917 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

Got a 1999 divvy s and great bike its been. has been in garage for last 4 weeks due to holidays and working away.

Got it out yesterday and started fist time. let it run for a while whilst checking lights etc and topping up tyre pressue. turned off and went in to get me gear. came out turned key neutral on hit button and only getting the clicking on starter relay. checked fuses and any contacts I could find all ok.

In gear with or without the side stand down and hit button and neutral goes out and oil light comes on and no clicking.

havent knocked the kill switch.

could it be the stand switch? if so can I bypass it as a quick fix until I can replace the unit & what would be the best way to do it.

thanks & regards to all

ride safe

phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds more like the battery has lost charge, especially as you've let it sit for a while.
Get an Optimate or similar and give it a charge, see if that helps. You can also jump-start it in an emergency.

Remember, bikes generally only start charging the battery up once you get above basic revs.
Start the bike up and position it somewhere you can see the Headlight and Neutral light (facing a wall in a darkened area is good).
Then rev up slowly. You'll find there's a point where the headlight and dash lights suddenly brighten. That's when it starts charging the battery.
It's not massive, either. Maybe 2000rpm.

Note that the bike usually revs higher than this while you ride, but it takes a good ride to keep the battery topped up. Short 5-10 minute bimbles down the shop won't do it, especially in Winter. It's kinda like needing a decent ride just to get the engine oil up to temperature.

+1 on the battery or it could be the starter solenoid, either a loose connection or it needs replacing also check starter motor

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online