DT175 G Starting Problems

mcferreira100
This post is 3963 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Fitted carb and tank..put in some premix and had a go at starting it. After quite a few kicks went for some quickstart. Couple kicks later it started. Not running too bad but not wanting to idle so fiddled with idle screw. But after she idles herself warm and I switch off it battles to start again. Some carb adjustment maybe?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Airhead..Will try..just to get it started again..I have the feeling something may be blocked. Will try again with some quickstart tomorrow.

Hi

Personally I don’t like quick start as it also degreases the cylinder bore/piston and crank, I would rather just put a few drops of petrol in the plug hole and rely on the vapour from this fuel to enhance the ignition,

Ok..carb off, stripped, sprayed carb cleaner everywhere..blew out with compressed air..cleaned out by the choke. Could see light thru both jets. Assembled again, yet it still only runs for couple of seconds if I put fuel in by the spark plug. Soon as I try give some throttle it dies. Any more suggestions?..maybe take carb in to the professionals for a makeover. Let me just say there is no air cleaner element fitted..as well as no hoses from the carb (drain lines..oil line..etc). The carb pretty much naked at the moment..would think shouldn`t make a difference as I`m just trying to get it to run.

you will be losing some vacuum without the filter element fitted so fit one (lightly oiled) and try it again, also if there is no pipe from oil pump to carb then at least you should fit a small length of pipe to the carb spigot and seal this pipe with a screw, or bend it over and tape it off so the spigot is airtight...I take it you're premixing right now

Hi Airhead..yep premix..once running will check autolube pump. Battling with pics on this site..I know you`re on the YamahaDTClub forum as well ..have put some pics there..also a comment there from Blackhat: Oil pump to carb spigot was sealed.

Aha " put your hand over the back of carb, when running. just leave a small gap between fingers, then open throttle,,

Yo see piccy 1, that deep hole , did you clean that, thers a small opening at bottom. this feeds choke jet with fuel.. wink.png

Read more: http://yamahadtclub.proboards.com/thread/1196/started-today#ixzz2WyhxVvCP

Hee " can"t hide anywhere nowadays,,, :spin2: .. hand over back of carb was to increase vacume,, :yeah:

Airhead..in your first pic..where is the long brass tube sticking up on yours at the bottom of the bowl?..you see mine has it. Can I take it off to clean? I presume this is the deep hole Blackhat is referring to for feeding choke jet.

Also on trying to start..throttle open/closed? 1/4 throttle?

in my pic the brass tube is 'D' and goes down into the hole 'B', there will be no need to try taking it out and risk damaging it. any blockage will normally be the small hole 'A'

The gasket around the top of 'B' needs to be unbroken or the choke wont work.

Start with a closed or ever so slightly cracked open throttle, no more than 1/8

and airscrew all the way in then 1 and 1/4 turns out for factory setting?

Another thing is the reed valve. Previous owner said he had to bend it for some reason. Should I not remove it for inspection?

yes, this could be just another part of the problem, you cant just go around bending them, they will probably need replacing.

To test..I.offer it up to my mouth... have to get my lips just right for this procedure... :babyha:

you should be able to blow air through the assembly...but not suck air through

Thats what I do anyway but not that i'm suggesting you should do the same, unless you cant think of a better way

interesting test..will give it a go.

After reading another thread of similar starting problems which got very involved investigating electrics and compression..it was solved by cleaning the carb choke mechanism and airscrew thoroughly. These seemingly huge problems always seem to boil down to simple things.

Does anyone have any pics or guidelines of how these items come apart once removed. I would like to concentrate on them. I have noticed a lot of play on the shaft of the choke..making me wonder if its too worn and should be replaced. I removed them today and gave them a through clean again..also soaking the bowl of the carb in boiling water. Carb is assembled and back on the bike again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online