Xvs dragstar 125 just purchased

Crispyduck74
This post is 4036 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Newbie here and newbie to biking, just bought an 2002 xvs dragstar 125. This bike is in A1 condition, only 1230 miles on the clock and looks like its just come off the forecourt! Can't believe I left it till the age of 38 to experience the amazing feeling of riding, but there we go!

The paperwork confirms one previous owner who bought the bike at the age of 70!!!! With the last 5 years amassing an amazing 86 miles and the bike has never seen rain!

The questions I have are that it gets upto 50 mph pretty quick, however sadly there's not much more!!!!

Was wondering if these bikes are restricted in anyway?

Another question is that I struggle to get the bike into neutral, I'm hoping that is just a case of adjusting the clutch cable? Particularly as the bike only really been run in despite its age!

The only other question is if anyone can recommend a uk based product for polishing up the chrome!

Thanks for reading, any answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers Crispy.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It is a 125 custom, never going to be built for speed. I am sure some other owners will be along to give comparisons on speeds.

I don't do polishing either, I would paint all the chrome to stop having to polish it.

Don't forget to post a "hello" in the newbies section. People who do get much better replies to questions.

Welcome to the forum.

It is a 125 custom, never going to be built for speed. I am sure some other owners will be along to give comparisons on speeds.

I don't do polishing either, I would paint all the chrome to stop having to polish it.

Don't forget to post a "hello" in the newbies section. People who do get much better replies to questions.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the post, of course I appreciate its only a 125. However I've test ridden other similar bikes which have had more at the top end. Also although its much lighter, I have an Aprilia habana custom which easily gets to 70 mph! If that's the way it is, that's fine I still love riding it. But thought it worth asking.

Will be sure to introduce myself in the newbie section.

Cheers, Crispy.

hi there, you can`t do anything, its a cruiser style, heavy bike... this is the speed, in plane road, my AJS can do max 68-70 m/h... and I need a lot of space to reach this speed lol

for chrome parts, I buy from morrisons supermarket, T-cut, some like 3.50 pounds 100g. 4 pounds on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Cut-TMP100-Metal-Polish-100g/dp/B004SND34K. I make the AJS to look like new after I ride 1500 miles during the last winter, in heavy rain, with salt on the road, etc... and I use some like 50 g for all chrome parts. DON`T USE THIS FOR PAINTED PARTS!

If its only done 86 miles in 5 years, Id be inclined to give it a full service, then see how it performs

It should top 70mph, cruise at 55 to 60mph, but you'll have to use the gearbox in hilly country

They were never restricted, the weight was restriction enough

Struggling onto neutral may improve with the service, the clutch plates may be sticky, but theres a knack to it. Try snicking it in just before the bike stops at lights etc

Autosol for chrome polishing, then once its shining, wax polish to keep it that way

The xvs 125 is a good bike, good build quality, reliable, easy to maintain, easy to ride, very re-sellable, hold their price well

I used Muc-off miracle shine on my previous XVS125, got it nice and shiny. Most of the chrome will be plastic (except exhaust/handlebars). I used to get around 50-60mph out of mine, it would creep up to 70 throttle wide open on a flat with no wind. Bear in mind it only has 12bhp and weighs quite a bit for a 125cc.

As said above, give it a service and check the carb joint (Y between the cylinder) for cracks.

Snicking into Neutral and issues with, my first port of call is usually the oil - Check the level as too much will feck things about a bit. Too little is just plain BAD!
Also make sure it's fairly clean and not black as bog, or anything.
If in doubt, empty it out and put new stuff in, changing the filter while you're at it.

But as mentioned, why not get it fully serviced and then see how it goes.
If you can, get the guy to check the idle speed and carb balancing, as well as cleaning the carbs themselves out.

On an open, straight dual-carriage A-road, you should be able to reach a max of 74mph, give or take a single digit there.

Start off normally and ride the revs up (be a little gentle), to the top of the power band.
Change up a gear before the bike starts to really rev it's nuts off.
Repeat right up to 4th gear.
Continue as before, but work right up to full throttle in 4th, then change up to 5th.
Once in 5th, you should be at around 65mph. Now very slowly increase throttle, literally as slowly as you can and just allow your speed to gradually build over about a minute. You should find your top speed is now +70mph and you can cruise along happily.

This will mean you have to plan any overtakes well in advance, especially on motorways. It also means in the event of having to brake at all, you will likely have to drop to 4th and power up again but that's all part of the 125 Character Build experience!!

Report back here and let us know, eh!! :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online