Newbie (seriously requires some Tech help)

Grave
This post is 4024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

Been down in Australia for 6yrs but on my home to Scotland in a few weeks and bringing my XVS1100 Custom with me (have spent a few years modifying & tinkering with it but nothing too special, hence the reason for bringing it with me)

However, as the title suggests, I'm badly in need of some tech help if theres anyone out there who can offer assistance.

A friend in Glasgow asked the dealer there about a new clock dial (since I'll have to change from KM's to MPH) and the dealer said he'd need to know if it was an American or a European model because the wiring is different.

This has opened up a bit of a debate down here since I've asked 3 seperate dealers around Brisbane this question and they all said they thought it was an Australian model.

Regardless, wether there are 2 or 3 seperate models I'm struggling to find out if the Yamaha parts available in the UK will fit my bike or if I'll need to order everything from America or Australia (which should I ever find myself in a hurry for a Starter Motor or simmilar it could involve a very frustrating wait)

I do have an old Haynes manual here that explains the codes but it only goes up to 2005 and it does only mention 2 models (European & American)

The VIN does say it was manufactured in Japan for distribution to Australia (JYA)

Anyone who can assist in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bike details:

Yamaha XVS1100 Custom (2006)

Model Code: 5PBX - 010 (A)

wrappe12.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

"Nothing special", he says... Fuck me, that's a fair amount of 'nothing special' there, dude!!!

I mean that in a sort-of 'impressed' kind of way, incidentally ;)

As far as I know, the main difference with the American models is that some States require a mod to reduce the emissions.

I do know the wiring diagram in the Clymer manual differs from that in the Haynes one, and both of those (rather unhelpfully) also differ from the diagram in the official Yamaha Workshop Manual, so there may be some issues there. Many American bikes I've met seem to run with both the indicators permanently on, so you get these constant orange running lights. Not sure how they work when actually indicating for a turn, as I'm usually busy watching the road myself. Certainly that's where the wiring thing comes in.

That said, any bike mechanic worth his job title should be able to figure out the wiring on your bike anyway, especially if you tell him there *might* be a difference (stress the 'might', so he won't do his nut seeking a problem that doesn't exist).

But since yours sounds like a proper, pukka, boney-fidey Aussie model, I think you should be OK.
Certainly most basic components will fit, like starter motor and so on.

One thing, in case you didn't know, a number of people have said the starter clutch on their 1100 Draggies have failed, so that's worth bearing in mind.
Also, I don't know how you've done your mods, but there is a kit that relocates the oil filter so you don't have to take the pipes off every time you wanna change it!!

• Like 1

I'm with Ttasky on this it is usually only the wiring that is different on the US models, apparently they are incapable of turning the lights on themselves and have to have it done for them!! Otherwise all the mechanical bits should be identical as stated above, MIGHT be some odds and sods that will need fettling but other than that we will be pleased to see your bike tootling around the UK in the rain, not sure you know what that is as in Aus it's supposed to have sunshine on occasion, here you are going to need a very good set of waterproofs and water wings on the bad days. :jossun:

your bike tootling around the UK in the rain, not sure you know what that is

Err... He's a Scot, returning from a 6-year sentence on 'Ye Olde Penal Colonie'.

I think he's familiar with the UK's bad weather, heh heh!!

Ah yes forgot that, still it will be good to remind him that home might be where the heart is but it also comes with it's share of difficulties, OH and SNOW almost forgot that to. :biglaugha::biglaugha::biglaugha:

Smart looking bike there Grave. Welcome to the forum, stick around.

Also, good on you for bringing the bike back with you, would be a shame to see it go.

Dunno what the issue is myself, as every time I get up to Scottyland, it's blistering hot sunshine with the occasional strong breeze and perhaps a bit of mist around the glens! :D

Now thats a sexy looking bit of kit you got there mate. (not that i have a bonner or nothing)

My XVS 650 clocks where in KPH and all thats been done to convert them to MPH is a little round thing on the bottom of the speedo cable i might have a picture of it on here i will try and find one if not i can take a picture for you i f needed? might be easier to get one of these than to dick about with changing clocks and wiring?

PS.................................can i have your exhausts? :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1

Here you go, Its that little gold thing on the end of the speedo cable.

mms_img-1362190995.jpg

Will see if i can find any for sale for your bike

g'day mate (will really need to stop saying that when i get home)

had already ordered the conversion dial from lockwood as a back-up plan and it looks like that may be the road i'm going down. only thing i dont know with this is if the original dial can be removed, since its a back-lit dial if i have to put the new one over the top of the old one it'd be a hell of a job trying to read it at night.

on a different subject... no, you can't have my pipes :-)

custom made for less than 200 quid (sorry, dont have a pound sign on this keyboard) from the good people at Fat Pipes: www.fatpipes.com.au

spent a month doing various designs but couldnt get what i was after so in the end i just gave your man a pic of vance & hines shortshots. he did ask if i wanted them baffled which we did have a giggle about!