cs5 not shifting at all

hawichaway
This post is 3988 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

are there any common problems that lead to a bike not shifting at all? has anyone else had this problem that could tell me where to start looking? i hope someone can tell me im not gonna have to go into the transmission. http://youtu.be/rLpcDBSoSjU

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Er... But.....

You do know how to ride a bike and how a bike gearbox works? Cos im really not sure.

From the very first trip on my lil ol 50cc back in the 80's I very quickly learned that without the motor running the gearbox doesent shift. Rock the bike for and aft as your hitting the lever might help but just pulling the clutch and moving the lever will do exactly what you have.

To be honest the noises from the box trying to shift sound nice and positive. It is also a part of any old yamaha that is all but bomb proof. The only weak issue being the output bearing as it gets chaing gunk in it in the end when the seal gets neglected.

Get it running and it will be fine. I would be more concerned with crank seals first.

well theres some welcome news. im a newbie to bikes. that's my very first one. ive signed up for a learners class in may. silly me.

Keep the bike on the main stand so that the rear wheel is clear of the floor. With one hand, move the rear wheel a little, with the other push or pull the gear lever. It should engage.

Do this with the engine off (obviously). Remember to return the bike to neutral before leaving it. Easier with the plugs removed once in gear.

Hi, Otherwise simply get on it and ride it, that will sort out any gremlins you might have and show you how the gearbox works, your NOT silly just new & it takes time to learn anything worthwhile. Ride safe and DO the learners classes, usually all sorts on those things from new riders to old farts just getting back into riding, and you will learn about your bikes together. :jossun:

• 1 month later...