dt 125 ready to be set on fire ifffff???

dtluke
This post is 4050 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

oh balls luke, yeah that could have been the problem with the shite gasket leaking. as others have said it will need the barrel off to fix that! you will need access to a pillar (bench) drill to fix that ....the helicoil needs to be totally perpendicular to the gasket face and you cannot guarantee that with drilling by hand.

I am feeling your pain fella :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can honestly say hand on heart i didnt get tight at all compared to the rest i was going for another nip there was another round to go of tightening..is helicoil a next size bolt or does it repair the hole? thanks

oh balls luke, yeah that could have been the problem with the shite gasket leaking. as others have said it will need the barrel off to fix that! you will need access to a pillar (bench) drill to fix that ....the helicoil needs to be totally perpendicular to the gasket face and you cannot guarantee that with drilling by hand.

I am feeling your pain fella :(

yeah they will be able to do it luke, give em a call

ill go there tomoro with the cylinder and see what it says seems to be 1 thing after another... ive re threaded a exhaust port on a quad a few years ago with the kit and worked the best...but the cylinder im thinking needs to be done spot on and done by someone with experiance..so will see tomoro now hope its not to big of a job for him .

a helicoil is NOT a next size bolt, It's a stainless steel thread insert that is screwed into the hole. The end result is a thread that is stronger than the original one was when it was new and the standard stud remains in use. It requires a special kit with the inserts a tapping drill and tap, and a tool th wind the inset into the freshly tapped hole.

Helicoil is just one brand name, tends to be the one everyone uses just like we all call vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'

I use a 'Re-Coil' kit...just another brand

ok

a helicoil is NOT a next size bolt, It's a stainless steel thread insert that is screwed into the hole. The end result is a thread that is stronger than the original one was when it was new and the standard stud remains in use. It requires a special kit with the inserts a tapping drill and tap, and a tool th wind the inset into the freshly tapped hole.

Helicoil is just one brand name, tends to be the one everyone uses just like we all call vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'

I use a 'Re-Coil' kit...just another brand

ok mate ill get the cylinder off now and drop it round tomoro on the way to work and hopeully he says yes. if hes a bike machanic he should have the kit and all ready to go fingers crossed eh. :eusa_think:

If as you said it didn't take much effort to strip it out then you have found your problem, don't take it back to the original mechanic if he had the tools nessary to do tis he would have fixed it the first time right.

Find a reputable machine shop to do it. OOPS you guys call them enginiers...... same /different. It has to be 100% straight or the head will warp

Have you checked the head is flat still? Get a piece of glass and some 600 grit wet and dry. Place the paper on the glass then gently 'sand' the gasket face. it'll show you the high spots as these will be sanded while the low not touched. If its bad you'll need to go on until the gasket surface has a uniform finish.

Athena gaskets - I ordered some but was not impressed i - won't be selling them in the Seed Shop. I ended up ordering genuine gaskets for my SRX.

Athena gaskets - I ordered some but was not impressed i - won't be selling them in the Seed Shop. I ended up ordering genuine gaskets for my SRX.

Fair enough but that isnt a DTR, the athena DTR head gasket looks just the same as a yamaha one, least it did when I last saw one

in over 20 years of spannering this set stuck out as being one of the poorest quality I've seen.

The lower engine gaskets looked like they were made from a very low grade of gasket paper, one up from recycled bog paper. The head gasket was a joke with brass shoe lace eyes for oil way seals and 1mm thinner than the Yamaha item. Total crap and not a brand I'd consider up to standard for us to retail.

But even the best gasket won't seal on a warped surface.

well boys and girls..sorry for no updates the last few days been very busy..got the bolt helicoiled if thats how its spelt lol. man charged me a fiver and done it infront of me :spin2: really helpfull man whent throught the whole proccess with me just like you lot said how to go about it!

so this morning i got the spanners out and had my brother help me with getting the cylinder back on(rings were very tricky on your own) and didnt fancy 1 of then not sitting right..wasnt too bad with an extra pair of hands got every think back together re-used my old bottom cylinder gasket well 2week old 1...

tightened all up by the way u folks said criss cross.. felt the what i thought to be the right tightness on my calibrated arm lol was sh#t#n it just took my time.

then replace head gasket(gen yamaha one) done the same as above all by hand no torque wrench just took my time and went very easy ! quiet hard for me to do no patients :shakeno: so any ways put all back together filled rad with just plain water ..started her up didnt struggle at all prob because i put oil petrol round cylinder prob helped.. but yea fired right up and let her run for 5 few wee rev bursts( i hear 2 st dont like to idle) stopped her after 10 15. cooled her down head got nice and warm was panicking incase over heating.. start again afer she cooled fired again no bubbling in the expantion tank left rad cap off to get and air lock blockages out..never sprayed when i reved either like b4!!!

so let her heat up twice with no problems...at this time im getting excited.. so check over ever think again every think appears sweet as a nut.. then change my plain water to coolant and took her for a spin must of done 80 mile today letting her cool every 15-20 just incse to check for leaks ect..got petrol filled up 2stroke 2t castrol.. and every think has been grand no overheating no bubbling just checked again so at the mo im over the moon with meself so chuffed lol!! :hyper: just fingers crossed now and i will be treating her to some arebis hand guards and new nobblies next week IF she behaves!

so thanks alot to all helped me out here couldnt be more greatfull especially airhead had the patients for me nagging lol.. going for bath now lol im black look like a ryt gypo haha once again THANKS :headbang::spin2:

Well done sir.

Dont forget to retighten head nuts after a while,,,, and again dont go swinging outa them.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online