First Bike, Yamaha SR125, Beginner Questions

Benedictine
This post is 3954 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Although not all at exact same level, they are all between min and max. I couldn't too up however cos my youngest saw the water and decided to wash my back wheel with it!! I did notice that the negative terminal was not tight at all. Wonder if this may fix the issue? Soon see tomorrow. I'll be topping up the battery tomorrow anyway so they all come up to max. Just need to get more water!

I've not noticed the indicators quickening with speed to be honest, how quickly do they speed up? If the water is between the lines then I doubt it is that...ha, ha, here's me giving advice hardly qualified but just going on my own experiences of my bike.

I appreciate any help Ben! I've levelled up the water and still a slight change in tempo. Guess I'll have to live with it!

a slight change in tempo is normal ( between idle and around 2000 rpm) but not an ever increasing change in proportion to rpm change

Cheers airhead. I'll take note on my way to work. Think i can just about guess 2000 rpm. I may be just obsessing trying to find things wrong that don't actually exist!

I've not noticed my indicators quickening, maybe a little but I don't know if I'm imagining it on your behalf!

My bike's running fine now. The only thing...the only thing... I've not managed to do is to change the high beam warning light. Any ideas on this? I've tried to find it under and around the dash but it is a bugger to get to and of course the manual is no help. I'm scared of taking the whole dash apart and surely this is not necessary? I have an MOT next month and wonder if it could fail it on this, but besides it would be good if this little thing is sorted.

Won't fail cos of it. You need to remove the headlight which will then give you access to get the main dash off. Do not remove the glass or attempt to remove the top of the dash as this is not designed to be removed - as I found out!

There are 2 small nuts which hold the dash in place, either side. I hope you have small fingers!! You can then get to the bulbs, which are held in place by rubber grommets. They are just push in type bulbs.

Ps - there is a workshop forum on here, which I have found to get more responses!

Thanks. I think I once started to take apart the main dash before realising that this can't be right. OK, I'll have a look behind the light. I've taken this off before several times and the jumble of wires just confuse me. I'll have a look for the nuts. I already have a replacement bulb for the warning light just I've not been able to find when it fits.

I fou d it easier to disconnect the headlight from the 2 wire connectors to get it right out the way. I had to superglue the black surround and glass back into place! You may even be able to pull the rubber grommet thing out after removing the headlight and casing. Although this may prove awkward to get the new one back in. My turn to sound like a pro now! I only removed mine last week.

Cheers Andrew, I'm going to have a go in a minute. I also need to sort out the rubber seal around where the side panels are because one of them has worn over the years and now and then the side panel comes loose like it did today. I went out for a short ride this morning and when I pulled up one of the panels was hanging off. If I just put a bit of seal on it it will be OK. Hit 63mph at one point. I don't usually rag the bike around or drive fast, but it was an open stretch of the road with nothing around so I just wondered what it would do.

Oh there was a funny moment as well. If you remember I mentioned that my indicators now bleep like a lorry reversing, thanks the new relay, well I was turning left passed some road cyclists and they must have thought I was beeping at them as one of them shouted 'I moved over you fucking idiot.' I didn't have time to stop an explain it was the indictors. So no doubt that is another cyclist pissed off with motorbikers for a while.

Lol! Another bonus then. Think I'll change my relay just for that. I take it its quite loud then? I would have more respect for cyclists if they (trying not to generalise) had any clue about road safety.

To be honest I don't normally take mine over 55 but I have had the speedo showing about 65. A 125 piston isn't designed for that sort of speed and I need this bike to last a while!

A previous owner has managed to break the front fixing of one of my side panels, but so far it hasn't caused me any issues. The only resolve for me is to get a new/second hand one. But in the big scheme of things I can live with this for now!

Yes it is loud, very loud, like a lorry. No I don't normally go over 50 mph myself usually.

I've sorted the seal, more or less. One one of the three bits is broken but it holds well enough with two out of three and like you say it is not really worth ordering a complete side panel just because of this.

I've had a look at the light, but I just want to check before I hack at something.

So to get at the warning bulb. Do I need to: 1 Unscrew those two locking nuts? 2 Unscrew the large wire (think it is the speedo connector, hidden behind the green thing)? 3 pull out the yellow and black wire in the top left-hand of the image and replace the bulb there? Or something else?

I have no idea what the blue and black wire is top right as there are no bulbs behind that,

Thanks.

DSCF1395_zps966149f3.jpg

The blue and black wire is to the dash light. That's the one I needed to change!

The two nuts eithe side need to be removed. There are rubber washers on the bolt so be sure to watch where they fall!

Once they are off the while dash will lift off the ignition barrel. This will make it easier to get the bulb out! I'm sure I pulled the bulb out with the rubber grommet.

Dash light? We have a dash light? Ha, ha I didn't know that. Thanks. I got to the bulb on the high beam warning light, with some difficulty, but I got there. Took the bulb out and it turns out that it is a larger size than the ones I ordered (that I got from the manual's recommendation!!!). Went up to the local garage but they don't have that size so I'll just pop to Halfords tomorrow and get a few.

Yes the nuts are fiddly and there is a washer and a rubber seal missing, washer on one, seal on the other. I'll sort it tomorrow though. I'm also going to get a proper screw driver and wrench set too, as I'm fed up of scrounging around with the bits I've got. Thanks again.

There should be a metal washer?? Never mind! I just took my bulb into Halforda and said "one of these please".

Pity you're not closer - sounds like we're having similar issues. We could have worked them through at the same time.

Sorted it now thanks. Got the bulbs from Halfords this morning. Can't say the dash light is very bright, in fact I can't tell any difference, but it might show up when it's dark. High beam warning light is sorted at least.

Cool! You don't need the dash light when it's not dark!!! When I first picked mine up, in the snow at about 11 at night I could have done with seeing what speed I was doing. But I had my wife following me in case of any unwanted police attention! She was able to flash if I went too quick. Didn't happen though as I was on 60 mph roads!!