First Bike, Yamaha SR125, Beginner Questions

Benedictine
This post is 3955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Checked the oil level before I even started her! Had a car seize once cos of a faulty oil level light. The air filter stops bits of dust etc from entering the carb. Not sure why it would be black unless there had been some unspent fuel back fire or just not changed in a long time. I couldn't check this on mine cos it was a new plug, but the condition of the plug can tell a lot about the condition of the engine. In car Haynes manuals I've had, there has been a page showing pictures of spark plugs in various states. Also need to keep check on brake fluid in the window on the handle bar.

Any other tips I find out I'll share!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The air filter will be black because its probably never been changed. The problem with learner bikes is that in the main, they get abused by their owner for 2 years till they pass their test, then passed on to the next newbie and the cycle continues. Occasionally they will pass into the hands of someone with a genuine interest in keeping the bike going. You be that man Elvis

Cheers jimmy. Married, 2 kids and being a little closer to 40 than most 125 riders means I do have a vested interest in keeping the bike going well with minimum of outlay!

Yes I figured I would just change the air filter because it was easy and cheap to do and would only help the bike. Luckily the previous owner of my bike was an old biker who it seems just mucked about on the bike a bit and it seems only did about 500 miles each year. Before he owned that it was sorn for a year. Before that I'm not sure, but at least mine doesn't seem to have been abused by young riders.

Had a nice ride out today in the Peaks, Edale and Hope, best weather for a while, it felt good to be on the bike without being absolutely freezing, this is a completely new experience for me, even if some of the high points of Derbyshire still contain several feet of snow here and there!

No idea on the thread - can't see for sure without taking them off. Will find out soon enough though - the link you sent me looks like a good buy, even if I have to replace them in a year or so when the cheap Chinese chrome comes off!

I've cancelled my Haynes manual, taking too long to come! I'll pick one up in WHSmiths when I'm next near one. Fingers crossed there's nothing else really wrong with her! The fuel leak seems to have stopped now regardless of where I have the fuel switch. Think I'll let the fuel run through til I need to use reserve so I know how many miles I get! I'll let you know. If our bikes are very different on consumption it could point at something wrong.

So after 130 miles, I have just turned on to the reserve. No idea how many litres are left in the tank. I will fill up tomorrow so I can gauge mpg. All I know it's a lot more than my 2.2l car and my twist and go Piaggio which I no longer own!! Note here that if the reserve switch is not located completely the bike will stop again! School boy error, but was raining hard at the time - that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!

Benedictine. Just got the same bike for my first too. tho mine is '00 model so bit newer.

FYI for parts etc. i've been usinghttp://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?modelID=9119&PageiD=26&m=YAMAHA+SR125+FRONT+BRAKE.+CALIPER&uID=0

This is obviously for the ront brake caliper but you'll see on the side you can work through all of the bike to find the desired part of the bike along with the breakdown of each component. The google for it for cheaper!

Hope this help bud!

LL

Benedictine. Just got the same bike for my first too. tho mine is '00 model so bit newer.

FYI for parts etc. i've been usinghttp://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?modelID=9119&PageiD=26&m=YAMAHA+SR125+FRONT+BRAKE.+CALIPER&uID=0

This is obviously for the ront brake caliper but you'll see on the side you can work through all of the bike to find the desired part of the bike along with the breakdown of each component. The google for it for cheaper!

Hope this help bud!

LL

Thanks and I hope you are getting on with the bike. The newer ones are better with slight upgrades here and there, I would swap mine for one but I would probably be going for a 250 bike this time next year so there's probably not much point. I like the circular dash on your model and the steering lock has to be useful as well. Great starter bikes I think. With the zip in the battery mine is starting and running really well now. Very pleased with it. 20 years old, with 10 previous owners and it seems to run like new. Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Done about 500 mile on the bike now and it all seems very natural. I do have one problem that came up from a ride yesterday if anybody can help, it's my indicators, they are not flashing just coming on solid, any ideas on what the problem is? I've looked in the manual but as usual everything is in there apart from what you want. I've Googled the problem and seen some suggestions to check the relays, but this was different model bikes. Any suggestions, thanks?

Edit: when I Googled it people said to check the relays, but what are you supposed to check and where are the relays if it is that?

Correction: the indicators sometimes work, but are sometimes on solid if that makes any difference.

The flasher relay will be in one of the side pannels,should be a location in the manual.but it will click when the signalis turned on and should keep clicking if working properly,flick it with your finger and if it flashes even just once then it's buggered.99% chance thats your problem. Just turn the signal on and listen for the click eve if you have to keep turning it on and off.

Thanks, it doesn't mention the relay anywhere in the useless manual. I've just looked in the online manual and it doesn't mention anything about it there. If it is buggered what's caused that? Would over-revving do it? I wonder if I have been pushing it a little too fast in fourth gear. Is it just a case of buying a new one and fitting it, is it a difficult job?

Edit: Oh I've read here that it is not a difficult job to replace.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-SR-125-Custom-Disc-92-95-Indicator-Relay-/140747021837?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20c52d1e0d

HAha no reving it wont do it ,yes very easy to replace just un plug and plug in new. some old bike had them in the head light bucket.

Its just a piece of tin that heats up and breaks contact eventualy wear out.

Just leave the bike not running and keep turning the signal on and off and listen by the side pannels and head light bucket and you will hear the click you can feel it click as well when you find it. Look up the part online and you will know what it looks like making it easier to find.

Thanks. I've found the part online and I'm going to try and find it in a minute, give it a clean and so on if that doesn't work then I'll order the part. Cheers.

Edit: I've found the relay it is under the dash controls, a bit fiddly to get to. It sometime works, sometimes doesn't (mostly doesn't). It clicks when it works, doesn't click when it doesn't. I'll just order another, but in the meantime it is a bit dodgy on the road with indicators not working properly.

The signal relay on my SR125 is under the dash. About 1 inch diameter cylinder approx 1 1/2 inch long with 2 wires going into it. When I've had them go wrong on the car I've had to replace it. Looks like its held in place just by a stiff rubber holder.

And I've just seen your update! My 3G doesn't always work and wifi is playing up!

I fitted the new relay (amazing came the next working day) and they are working fine now, thanks. I didn't realise I had ordered a bleeping relay though, sounds a bit annoying but probably safer. Having taken the old one it was a bit rusted around the prongs so maybe if I had cleaned them up it would have worked, never mind.

Ben, do you notice your indicators go faster when the engine is going faster? Not sure if I need a new relay!

I've only had the bike a few weeks and ashamed to say I've not had the battery off to see the levels properly. I will check it properly tomorrow lunch time and top up if necessary. Cheers Airhead. If the levels are right, could it be anything else?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online