Fuel Injection

davie6711
This post is 4128 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey All,

The guy I bought my XJ750 from dropped of the fuel injection parts that came with the bike....i'll put up a photo later.

From what I remember 80's fuel injection was shite so most people ended up binning it in favour of carbs which is the case on my bike.

Do you think it would be worth while seeing if it works and changing it back?

It looks like a set of carbs with leccy wiring and multi plugs with what I assume is the fuel pump.....

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

All the best everyone

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Davie, You have to remember that back in the 80s most fuel injection was mechanical and not electrical so the problem was getting the buggers balanced ie fuel pressure versus fuel flow and most folks did not have the skill or tools to work it out, today it,s much easier to get the things to work properly without the need for a workshop and thousands of pounds worth of equipment, so if you don't mind pratting around for a few hours with meters and pressure guages then give it a go but I would suggest that you find a calm place in your head before you start as hitting it with a hammer will not make it fit or work better!! I had fuel injectors on my bonny PLUS a forced fuel blower and it worked like a dream most of the time but occasionally it would have a fit and squirt fuel at everything within 10 feet and fart like an elephant until the fuel ran out, those were the times when it was not cool to be a smoker!! :crazy:

ut I would suggest that you find a calm place in your head before you start as hitting it with a hammer will not make it fit or work better!

i always understood that if you cannot fix it with a hammer

THEN IT MUST BE AN ELECTRICAL FAULT

maybe i am wrong ???????????

Ive identified some of the "bits"

FuelInjection_zps1a156fdd.jpg

That airbox looks well and truly f*cked!, i bought a K&N air filter for my turbo but as it turned out its intended for the 650/650 non-turbo bikes :(

personally i would re-assemble and run it before trying anything else, as the old saying goes "if it works, dont f*ck with it"

Cheers Foamy,

The bike is currently running well on a set of carbs of unknown origin with K&N type cone filters albeit a bit rough as I mentioned before where the exhaust headers are not sealing at the head. The pipe is a bit knackered though. On another post one of the guys told me that a 4-1 from an XJ900 should fit ok as that's what had on his 750 Maxim I think it was.

I was mainly wondering if there was any benefit to trying to get that lot working on the bike again but the general sense of opinion seems to be a big no!

Thanks for the info mate as I was scratching my head.

Davie.