Yamaha DT 125, Performance Questions?

kieran123croker
This post is 4121 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright people,im based in manchester, north west england and i own a yamaha dt 125 05, its currently sat in my garage needing top end rebuild, but the weather has put me off it untill now, and im now looking to get it back on road!

its currently all stock, and im interested in spending a bit of money on it, derestricting it and making it into a little smoker, i will be buying a performance pipe soon, but i was interested in changing the carb as i am told this will make quite a big difference?

would appreciate any knowledge shared, or any tips on tuning, increasing bhp etc what to do or not to do.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah, suppose your right, think im jumping a few steps ahead of myself. was just interested, somebody told me that a yz carb could be fitted also, may be too much hassle for what its worth tho, especially getting rid of the premix tank and doing my own mixes not really something that i can be doing with.

cheers for that black hat, i think for some reason the jet has already been up jetted even tho it hasnt had any mods, so pointless but saves me changing it, but will have to check and make sure, and yess think i change the front sprocket for a bit more bottom end power too :P and ile look into a performance air filterr

A sports pipe will help. The pipe on your bike is full of CAT which will restrict it. You'll then need to re jet to suit. Upgrading the carb is an option and you dont need to worry about removing the pre mix as on that model the oil is fed to a stub on the inlet manifold. It was 1989 that it was last fed into the carb on the DT125R. Since they put the mikuni tm28ss on it went in through the inlet manifold rubber stub thing!

If you do decide to upgrade the carb, the Delloto 32mm VHSA carb was fitted to the TZR 4DL which used the same engine but with some porting work done. That was the 33bhp TZR that yamaha italia made. The Belgarda. You'll have to change the inlet manifold but the Dellorto has an oil stub so you would feed to there. I have one for sale if you are interested but without porting work i dont know how much you'll gain.

I also have a 35mm TMX mikuni carb from a 1989 YZ125 for sale on ebay at the moment.

I'd start with a pipe though. My money would go on an Athena or a 3MB standard pipe from a 89-97 DT125R. They are easy to de restrict and give plenty of power.

............or a 3MB standard pipe from a 89-97 DT125R. They are easy to de restrict and give plenty of power.

Slightly different mountings Andy, maybe with some cutting and welding...the earlier pipe sure is a good one I agree, the only downside is the weight but so what

cheers for the reply andy, much appreciated. yeah i think i will be buying a athena or a dep pipe, something similar anyway.
Going to get the cylinder resleeved at the end of the month as its already on a 1.50 piston and has some slight scrapes on cylinder, hopefully shouldnt need much more then to pass mot and be back on road.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online