soo.. no reall power here..

shambles1980
This post is 4160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok back at the rxs today.
il just give a summary so things are known. and this thread will probably be in use for a while..

Got the rxs for free from a friend (actually swaped it for a bed) My friend said that he bought it from a guy who said it had gone through its last mot no probs and had a new piston and rings. my friend had the bike and noticed it was low on power and repetedly tried to clean the carb. hes not an expert or anything but im sure he could manage that. as we used to work on engines together just tinkering "as you do"

I got the bike and checked it over and found the spark plug had been over tightend. so i replaced the head.
i have all the gaskets and bearings i need for a rebuild of the engine but mean while i wanted to try and narrow down what the issue really was.

I have the bike running It starts up first kick even. no choke needed even when its freezing cold.

It has black oily junk all over the baffle which i have cleaned. and it is leaking exhauust gasses where the downpipe connects to the exhaust. (the black oily stuff comes out there too)

I can ride it around my garden in 1st maxing out at 10mph. But cant take it for a reall run as its sorn.

Ok thats the summary..

now the lack of power. I found out today what my friend means. about lack of power.

I stalled the bike a couple of times when doing a slow turn at the top of the garden (figured it was due to low rpm because i didnt want to crash through the fence or hit the heavy cement planters.) so i decided Just to neutral it and ppush that turn.
at the other end of the garden its not as restrictive (no heavy planters to crash in to so i can do the turn just fine. )
i decided to take the turn i can do no probs faster to see if i could get some speed out of the bike. so i open the throottle a bit more as i was turning "slight up hill" and it bogged down I had to get my feet down and help it allong. then i had the throttle wide open when i was back on the flat and it just didnt want to do anything. Felt like it was just enough Rpm to be moving and not stalling.

if i closed the throttle any it would stall..

But then it would decide it was ok again and you could get a decent bit of speed again, so i tried to do the fast up hill turn at speed again.. and it bogged down again..
But was ok when i was on the flat..

(the slight up hill is really not a hill at all the front wheel is probably 2 inches higher then the back at most.)

So i decided to heck what the engine would rev up to in neutrall as it really seemed that it needed more Rpm.

I slowly opend the throttle in neutrall and i was pretty dissapointed to see it maxed out atbout 6k. "clock has 12k on it "

If we assume that this is the issue my friend was talking about. and we assume that he cleaned the carb properly.

What els could be the issue..

I have a reed valve block standing by if thats a potential culprate. But to me revs amxing out at 6k seems to be a fule thing..

I adjusted the throttle cable so it was as tight as i could have it without altering the idle rpm. but it stil tops out at 6k..

so any one have any ideas?

P.S

sorry for the long post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My wife always has choires for me to do when we get up there..

"paint the bedroom... Lay the carpet in the hall.. carry these boxes.. change the baby..."

so all i get to do is little things evry time i go out for a smoke.. Cigarets last longer and longer ... (i tend not to light them for a while now lol)

i am nearly done with house things though. So the rebuild has to be coming soon.
should only take me a day barring exessive nagging.

replace those crank seals and check the piston wear and rings end gap while you are in there...as well as any bearings that need replacing...and tell you dont want to keep changing the baby because you've grown quite attached to this one...that'll save a bit of time

hey pal i have to take a week off work to do a topend build on my dt, turns out im now boarding the loft and decorating the passageway....

every man is in the same boat when living with there other half - even worse if you add a baby

1st off if i am also quite attached to my nether regions... and if i said i didnt want to change the baby because i was attached to my new baby. i would lose my afore mentioned nether regions..

secondly.
to be fair i do get quite a lot of my own way, i just suffer when it comes to doing things that wont make money lol..

I get to work on electronics for hours on end because she knows 1st thing the money hits the bank shes going to spend it..

I dont really get to work on the bike because she knows every time i say "A HA!" it usualy results in some expensive parts.

Lol...

I've got away with most things aswell but the bike is a no no, every time a parcel comes through the door she is watching me open it "if that's for that stupid bike I'm gonna smash it" hahaha Its amusing...

Lol...

I've got away with most things aswell but the bike is a no no, every time a parcel comes through the door she is watching me open it "if that's for that stupid bike I'm gonna smash it" hahaha Its amusing...

Hmm you'll learn eventually to have stuff posted elsewhere

My wife always has choires for me to do when we get up there..

"paint the bedroom... Lay the carpet in the hall.. carry these boxes.. change the baby..."

so all i get to do is little things evry time i go out for a smoke.. Cigarets last longer and longer ... (i tend not to light them for a while now lol)

i am nearly done with house things though. So the rebuild has to be coming soon.

should only take me a day barring exessive nagging.

Blimey, Shambles. Have you ever watched the seventies sitcom "George and Mildred"

You just sound like George (Brian Murphy)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online