xt 550 piston pin/conecting play

mark 88
This post is 4160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all Im on re building the engine for my xt 550 as I was replacing the piston I found that the little end bush was well past its best. the replacment piston and pin are second hand but ther are in fine condition and the replacment con rod is brand new. the problem is when you slid the pin into con rod there is play between them, very slight but there is play. im thinking that maybe that play is nessesary as when the engine heats up to operating temp and parts expand that clearance will be taken up, i suppose that if the two parts are a perfect fit they would lock up at opperating temp :eusa_think: anone got any advice on this for me would be great.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi mark" i take it you mean side to side , movement? not up & down, :eusa_think: ,, as there is a little side to side, ..

not quite sorry I should have been more specific you can rock the pin in the bush but strangely enough no up and down movement the pin fits into the bush without any resistance. thanks blackhat

sounds good to me, I had new everything and it did that. the oil takes up the slack along with the extreme heat under there.

I wouldnt want to put a damper on things but from personal experience i would change the piston pin,

main reason being if its a new rod they may not bed in correctly , not only that all XT models doesnt seem to

need much clearance on the pin to start the top end knock.

Only my personal choice so dont shoot me down.

TTB

Yeh mark ".T. 10 bikes is right, :yeah: I had to heat my 750 "s pistons ,then push the wrist pin out, thats how tight they were, , ther was a lttle side play,,