Headlight Bulb Upgrade

Grouch
This post is 4174 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know there's been loads of posts recently about this

subject, but I'm still none the wiser. It is pitch black by

17:00 now and the headlight on my XT 125 X is just

not acceptable, it is in fact useless, and I'm starting to

question whether it is even bright enough for other

motorists to see properly! It is starting to make me feel

unsafe.

I know the HID kits are a no no because they are illegal,

so what is the best option to go for?

L.E.D.?

Xenon?

Something else?

Because the above are supposed to be crap as well.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've looked into this in the past. Personally I'd go for a decent brand Xenon. I was going to fit one to my SR125 but the older model doesn't take H4 bulbs. But without messing around with HID kits I doubt there are many options. If you are going to just upgrade the bulb, spend a bit of money. I've heard from too many people that the cheaper bulbs blow incredibly fast.

Not tried the Nightbreaker or the 55w Xenon bulb, but did get told that the HALFORDS EXTREME BRILLIANCE H4 472 EB 12v 60/55w was a very good upgrade by a couple of lads who have got them in their bikes, very bright indeed and just the job for dark country lanes.

• 2 weeks later...

Took about 30 minutes to take apart and fit that Xenon bulb from eBay. Headlight was placed so tightly and couldn't really find a way to remove the front body as it was attached to the indicators making it harder to get your hands in. Got there in the end though and money saved :P Just curious if anyone would actually go to a garage to get a new headlight fitted and if so, how much would it cost?

Hey, did you ever manage to change your blub?

Came across these: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb147ee05

Just ordered some

Took about 30 minutes to take apart and fit that Xenon bulb from eBay. Headlight was placed so tightly and couldn't really find a way to remove the front body as it was attached to the indicators making it harder to get your hands in. Got there in the end though and money saved :P Just curious if anyone would actually go to a garage to get a new headlight fitted and if so, how much would it cost?

I have noticed how tight the headlights are on the XT's, I'm really not looking forward to changing the bublbs, but I'm not going to a garage to get it done. I've just paid £50 for a chain and sprocket kit fitting. I really need to stop being lazy. Next on the list is a rear brake disc and pads, and a rear tyre, but I'm not fitting the tyre.

Grouch, sorry to say that I have had to take them off and put my old ones back on again. Bike wouldn't turn over this morning and after a few tries using the ignition switch, battery went flat and had to kick start it. Then I started experiencing weird engine misses/jerks while I was riding which I thought might have been due to high load from the new bulbs. Looks like it messed up the battery so I'll have to look for a new one soon.

Grouch, sorry to say that I have had to take them off and put my old ones back on again. Bike wouldn't turn over this morning and after a few tries using the ignition switch, battery went flat and had to kick start it. Then I started experiencing weird engine misses/jerks while I was riding which I thought might have been due to high load from the new bulbs. Looks like it messed up the battery so I'll have to look for a new one soon.

It might be your rectifier thats fucked and have nothing to do with the bulbs.

Optimate is struggling to keep the battery alive too, might not even be the bulbs, maybe something is actually wrong with the engine or the carbs are clogged. Just going to have to see how it rides tomorrow and if it still jerks then investigate further.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to get brighter lights is to fit head lamp relays. You lose power through the handle bar switches which causes dim lights, cleaning works for a while, but the only fix is a relay.

you should see the light on my rxs..

if im not revving the nuts off it, i may aswell have a candle in a jam jar at the front of the bike..

"something needs to be done"

oh and i cant hear the horn over the engine either lol.

I'm just going to put up with it until I get a bigger bike. Last thing I can be arsed with is messing with electrics. I've already made it worse.

Ah, the wonders of 6v electronics eh shambles? :P

The only Wonder about it is I Wonder who the hell decided it was good enough.

the lighting is a joke but the horn is rediculous...

you have RINNNGA DING DING DING DING of the excelent 2 stroke.

and

"merp" from the horn..

Id be better of shouting, heck im sure whispering would be louder.

I think I will have to do one of those mods where you mutilate the stato to get 12v. but i dont think that will help the horn at all.

there must be a 12v kit for these things some where.

The little screw and lock nut on the back of the horn is for adjusting the tone.

When my lad got his CG125, The headlight was crap so i just soldered a car headlight plug and used a standard car headlight bulb.Its been in nearly 3years now no problems (mot etc..)lot brighter than standard aswell

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online