fork seals help!

yamahayzf
This post is 3805 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys! i have just purchased a 2004 yzf250! i got home had a rip around then realised the two forks were covered in oil! its coming from the fork seal, every time i push down it creates a ring of oil on both forks!

i wanted to know if it is normal for both seals to go at the same time? also how much roughly will it cost to replace by a mechanic also is it straight foward to do it myself because i have hardy any mechanical ability.

many thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

with hardly any mechanical ability I would think It's best to have the job done for you.

It's sounds unusual that both should be leaking and I take it the stancheons are not pitted anywhere in the working area?

is there a manual for this bike? it may be in the manual how to do it

Hi, If your forks are pitted/rusty then the only way is to take them apart and fit new seals, as above it's unusual to find both gone at the same time so I would check to make sure they are straight before you do any thing with them, just did my own forks last year and it cost about £140 inc P+P for new chrome and well worth the money seals should be about £7 each and the only difficult part is getting the things stripped down, buy a manual before you do anything!! this is so you don't waste time undoing stuff that you don't need to, if your stuck then ASK cos it's better to ask dumb questions and get laiughed at than to try to do it when you don't know what your doing, talk to your local yammie dealer, most are more than willing to help out if you ask nice and explain that your a newbie. Come back here when you have your manual and have some idea of what is needed. good luck. :jossun:

Could both seals have gone out at the same time if someone compressed the forks too much (say when tying it down on a trailer)? Could that blow the seals?

It's not uncommon on the wr and yz to see both seals shot from jumping and mogul bashing,as Sacha pointed out the bike could have been tied down too tight,also as you just bought the bike you don't know how long they have been bad possibly the last owner rode it with 1 bad for awhile.

Changing the seals is a straigt foward job ,but the oil level and vis is very important both are adjusted to rider weight and this is where a suspension shop is worth the visit. Anyone can change out the seals and put oil back in but to get the max out of the suspension have it done buy a suspension shop NOT just any shop. The valving is very tempermental and need to be serviced with care any crap gets in and it's pucked.

wow thanks for all the replys! i posted the same question on http://yamahaforum.com/ a week before and had no replys! and within a day i get a 4 replys on this! i am putting my seal problem when tieing the bike down i did compress the seals a couple of inces for over a hour! ive seen a few great how to do vids on you tube so im going to get a few quotes of dealers and if the worst comes to the worst im going to try myself as a feel able to if i follow some vids on you tube! cheers

• 1 year later...

I believe in always putting a block of wood or something between the underside of the mudguard and the tyre when strapping a bike down. Learned the hard way when I had this hassle with a CR250 as it was always transported on a trailer...sometimes long distances and with heavy duty ratchet straps. Don`t think the seals can take that kind of pressure for too long.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online