Which tyres for winter?

paul-666
This post is 3502 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You can put studs in bike tyres but i dont know if it would work with tubeless tyres, iv seen it done many times on dirt bikes with mooses or inner tubes fitted.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 year later...

While were on this subject I remember last year on telly they were putting studs into car tyres for the snow, does anybody know if that can be done to bike tyres?

Also, when the snow goes can the studs be removed or do you have to replace the tyres?

Bearing in mind the extreme British weather might only last a couple of weeks so would it be cheaper to find alternative transport to work rather than replace tyres.

My one big headache is getting to work in the snow or severe frost, with my smaller bikes it wasn't a problem, the main roads were ok but side roads are a lot to be desired.

DT502001 how do you cope in Canada in snow and ice?

Sorry for the ultra late reply missed the thread all together. But as we are comming up to another winter

First the Bandit get's put away from late december to march,not going riding in 3 ft of snow and 1" of ice, but if we have a nice day and the roads are dry I will go out for a blast,Like rain I run lower pressuers(26-28 psi) to increase the contact patch having radials helps.

too.Brake earlier ride slower and watch for shadows from trees as ice forms under them.

The wr I will run hard pack type of tires as they are softer/grippier,cut the tread blocks with a sharp razor to put more sipes in them and go do some ice racing in the non studed class,In the past I have run in the studded class http://www.gripstuds.com/Motorcycle_Winter_Dirt_Bike.php small stud class ,In Ontario were not alowed to use them on the road,in ottawa it's ok :crazy: or I would and ride year round.If your alowed to use them then take any old tire and install them they work great ride is rough though if your not on ice.

And raced in the large stud class not good for road use though http://www.mf44.ca/en/ I have never raced in the spiked class,if you fall and get run over you look like a pin cusion.I have ridded a 2' spiked gsxr 750 and what a blast you have more traction than on pavement.

But the truck works best or the snowmoblie when january and febuary storms come and even the plows have trouble keeping up with old man winter.

But the truck works best or the snowmoblie when january and febuary storms come and even the plows have trouble keeping up with old man winter.

And Ontario is mostly pretty mild by Canadian standards - certainly down by Toronto. :P

Great advice on dropping the pressure.

Just bought Pilot Streets for the YBR 125 for just under 75 quid from mytyres.co.uk

quite happy with that actually.

Getting quoted 42 for fitting if I take the bike in and 20 if i take the loose wheels in to my local bike shop which also sounds reasonable enough.

I could not get Sporty's for love nor money which seems a shame as it appears from here and other sources that they were a great tyre.