Which tyres for winter?

paul-666
This post is 3504 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the michelin pilot sport tyre ain't too bad in the rain according to popular belief, and it has better grip than your stocks, and should last longer as well! (and it should do for £75 a tyre)

I was looking at them and found them a bit cheeper here http://www.mandp.co....-tyres/Michelin

but im also paying the dealership to order and fit them for me, so they were bound to be a little cheaper elsewhere... probably not by that much... next time ill supply them with the tyre, see if i can fet the front one changed cheaper

I'm with Grover on this one. I have Pilot Sporty's fitted, feel much better on them.

While were on this subject I remember last year on telly they were putting studs into car tyres for the snow, does anybody know if that can be done to bike tyres?

Also, when the snow goes can the studs be removed or do you have to replace the tyres?

Bearing in mind the extreme British weather might only last a couple of weeks so would it be cheaper to find alternative transport to work rather than replace tyres.

My one big headache is getting to work in the snow or severe frost, with my smaller bikes it wasn't a problem, the main roads were ok but side roads are a lot to be desired.

DT502001 how do you cope in Canada in snow and ice?

They are cheap arn't they. are they any good, and also would they be suitable for a 600cc?

I dont know how fast you go on your 600 mike but there sutable for a max of 92 mph ish lol hopefully some one with a bit more bike know how will come along soon and fill us in on them as there cheep and they are any good for slippy conditions it would be worth buying them and changing them when the white stuff has gone

Cheers Paul some good links there I will study them in depth, also I might pop down to my local bike repair man to see if he does anything.

As for what speed I do in snow and frost only about 20mph.

I can get the bus to work but it takes an hour as apposed to 15mins on the bike.

Winter/snow tyres.

The main difference is the compound. They will give high grip in poor conditions with no warm up. But grip in hot dry conditions will be worse.

They generally have a more aggressive tread pattern but thats more for show.

That said i have ridden my dt in everything from -12 to 29 degrees and appropriate speed and observation is more important if you ask me.

Winter/snow tyres.

The main difference is the compound. They will give high grip in poor conditions with no warm up. But grip in hot dry conditions will be worse.

They generally have a more aggressive tread pattern but thats more for show.

That said i have ridden my dt in everything from -12 to 29 degrees and appropriate speed and observation is more important if you ask me.

I was planning on leaving for work earlyer on a moning so if the roads are bad I'll get there in plenty of time even if I have to go extra slow and as the bad weater hits where I live first around here and lat sat when every where close by to where we live had a dusting of snow there was a 1" on the floor here so I'm thinking theres going to be skating times ahead lol

• 2 weeks later...

got my own Michelin pilot sporty fitted today, ill probably have finished wearing it in by the end of tomorrow (is 50 miles long enough?), my bike has only had a rear tyre change, but it seems to feel different, more responsive somehow, probably due to the lack of a longitudinal tread (the band of tread running in a straight line along the bottom of the tyre) mucking up the bike's lean

the tread does seem very deep, so i guess it should last a long time. my local dealer got hold of the tyre for just over £40, and fitted it for £30 (yea... ill be fitting my own in future), and except for the wierd bristles (makes it look like im cleaning the road, they're massive), its brilliant, is it safe to cut off the bristles? or should i just wait till my riding wears them off?