RS100 6v to 12v conversion

rosa
This post is 4202 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am planning to convert my RS100 from 6 volts to 12 in a few months. On a vintage British bikes forum I read that stators are easily modified by rewiring and adding a zener diode with a heat sink . Another Idea I read somewhere was recoiling the stator to generate 12V, and the third idea I have contemplated is ordering a kit from dynapower in germany.

http://www.powerdyna...7038/38pack.jpg

which is a bit pricey, so I would prefer to know more about the first two options before making a decision.

I have the bike in Chile, where there are places that recoil stators.

It is currently running but weak headlight, and no turn signals, unless I charge the battery externally, so I am assuming either the regulator, and/or the stator have issues.

I have a child on the way in my wife's belly, so I need to get this fixed.

I would appreciate any suggestions, and answers to the following questions:

What would I need to change for this modification?

Battery, Regulator, Ignition Coil, Bulbs, Head Lamp. Anything else?

And last question, what would need to be adjusted?

Timing, carburator?

Thanks in Advance,

RoSa

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Read the post. Very helpful, and answered most of my questions. I still am in doubt as to what to do with the Stator for my specific bike. Recoil, Rewire or Replace, to get 12 volts out of it.

Thanks

Rosa, I am not sure which post you read, but here is the link.

You need not do anything to the stator, without any regulators it cranks out 19v +

I still run with my conversion as mentioned in the post and I still use the same battery and 12v lights.

Thank you.

I see that on the post the new reg/rectifier is from a Honda Cub 90 g.

What can I check for, on my bike, to know that in theory this one would work?

Also, How do I make sure that the headlight does not dim down at lower revolutions?

Should I be asking these questions on the original post?

Hi rosa,

You don't need to post anywhere else, there is a risk that my post will go off thread. Afterall it was about a DT175MX

The headlight WILL go dim at lower revs, it can't not do

The output would have shown the original designers that only a 6v bulb would have a brighter light at lower revs, which is why its a 6v bike, if they wanted 12v: the coils/stator would have been a bigger design, but that may have affected the design of the engine and so forth. Remember your bike is 1970's technology.

The 12v conversion enables 12v equipment to work but the draw back is the headlight will not be bright at lower revs.

but for me and those who have done the conversion we accept this.

Like I said in my post, there is no guarantee it will work on any other bike, but it works on mine.

If you've checked the wiring and read the principles of my work and it applies to your bike then only you can take the next step.

If it works, then add your bike to the list, if not , .....well it may have only cost you the price of the parts

You have to way up the risks.

Whats the worst that can happen?, although unlikely, however it will depend on your knowledge of wiring....... you could fry your electrics!

Thank you.

I found a wiring diagram online, and it seems the RS100 only uses a rectifier and no regulator. I don't have the bike with me to measure the output of the stator, but does anyone know why it would not need a regulator?

Also, can a stator be rewound to generate a higher voltage or current?