Broken down at the side of the A1 :o( XJ600N

trumpetdude
This post is 4212 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, according to the manual the main fuse or igntion fuse is all that's before the Main Relay unit. As the bike will run an start I'm guessing it's the fuel pump side of the relay that's gubbed, FYI I think its one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XJ600-XJ600N-XJ-600-N-DIVERSION-RELAY-UNIT-/290680818644?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43aded4bd4 although, I have checked all the fuses and they look fine.

As far as I can tell the relay block for the bike is getting power. I'm guessing that if the realy isn't totally gubbed it's on it's way, hence being able to drive it home after breaking down.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've not opened the multi plug as it 'appears' to be in good order. No green signs of corrosion and the connectors look in good condition too. There doesn't appear to be any sign of water ingress around the electrical componens at all (and yes I do ride in the rain ;) ...). As I've got the side panels off the bike I'll just check over everything else but as the bike is in generally good condition and I've not had other problems I'm not expecting any horrors. I'll get back to you!

So, relay arrived today. Connected it on and the bike roared into life but then I'd expect that as the battery has been on charge and there was probably a good bit of fuel left in the carbs. I did notice the pump running when the bike was running and I've never noticed that before. Not got time to get the multimeter on it so that's on for tomorrow after which I'll probably be driving around the block until it either cuts out or I'm confident that it'll go all day.

I would still replace that battery. A healthy voltage is 13.4 it is obviously suffered from the experience.

30&87 feeds the pump on any relay 85 and 86 are controled by the cdi. When the ign is turned on the puter should ground(or it might be simply grounded to the frame) and feed 85-86 to prim the pump. Then when the puter sees rpm then it comands the relay to stay closed and constantly feed the pump.Relays raerly ever go and if they do it's because they are working to hard because of high amp drawn from the pump or bad ground.

You can hook up the fuel pump and let it run for hours it won't do any dammage, pull the feed line off and check the volume of fuel per min should be something like 2 lts.The pump gets hot and then slowly drops in flow/pressure then the pump is shot.

No I don't have a wiring dia for the bike but you need to check the ground side of the relay and the amp draw of the pump.I would check the plug at the puter ,seems to me that they are pron to the pins rotting out.

Cheers. I'll see how I get one with testing today. Battery on a good charge again. Just wondering what the pump should sound like. I know it's a bit of a daft question but mine sounds quite 'gluggy'...

So, staying with the fuel pump. When connected directly across the battery it pumps it's wee nut aff... I was curious as to why I'd never heard this with bike running. I connected it all back up do I could listen to it running. The pump only activates about once every 3 seconds at tick over and increased in frequency as the revs pick. You can see the puse of the fuel through in line filter. Does this operation of the fuel pump sound normal? I'm confident that the fueling side of the engine is working correctly and while the previous relay may not have been totally gubbed I'm wondering if it was a tad faulty / sticky. It'll be at least a week before I'll have some decent time to go for a ride or have a look at any other possibilities.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online