XT500 Street Tracker

Wrenchface
This post is 4211 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, glad to back, one of my non-yam projects has been causing grief, soon sorted hopefully.

Anyway, I'm starting in the planning phase of converting my all original 81 XT500 to a street tracker style bike and am looking for some input on a few things. Currently has a 19" rear and 21" front wheel and I want to go 19" for both. My options appear to be to get a 19" re-laced from my original hub or find a compatible front end from another bike. I would 'like' to leave my original wheel intact for option of bolting everything back up to return bike to original if ever so desired and I think the stock forks would look too long, goofy, with a 19" wheel. I'm hoping I can leave my steering yokes intact and find forks of correct diameter that will slip in and hopefully be of correct width for a spoked 19" wheel. Does anybody know of such cross compatibility? SR500 or XS650 maybe? I do have a local bike wrecker I can visit with my trusty calipers and measuring tape in hand in need be but if anybody can narrow down my search that would be great. I'm also thinking about exhaust options and sprocket set-up for road riding, all suggestions considered, thanks guys, cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Haven't measured yet, just in the dreamy phase...

Good idea Airhead would still need an 18" wheel and hub of correct width to fit lower tubes. I said 19" in orig post but rear is actually 18", duh.

Yes I've considered that, its a drum hub and was hoping to convert front brakes to disk and also wanted to keep original wheel intact for potentional to re-convert back to original. About $400 locally to have 18" wheel laced to my hub.

• 2 weeks later...

XS750 (non leading axle) or TX750 tubes will slide right in!!! They are 36mm in diameter. You can then use either a 19" mag from an XS750, XS650, SR500, ETC. or you can use a wire wheel from an XS650, TX650, or TX750. I am going to be using the XS750 tubes with the mag off the same bike on my 81 XT500 project. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

www.sr500forum.com

you'll get some good advice from people who have done this before

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online