New speedo, at last!

Grouch
This post is 4187 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Finally got my bike a speedo fitted today. I got charged £195 for a new front disck/pads fitting and a speedo fitting, all of which I supplied. Do you think this is reasonable?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you can't do it yourself. then I guess so. A lot more than a workshop manual though!

2 hours work (or a fair bit less TBH) so £97.50 per hour.

Wow.

Personally i think its terrible but a couple of weeks ago i stripped the engine down in wifeys car to replace the timing chain. A 7 to 8 hr dealer job (min 500 quid plus parts). Took me around 12hrs but including all the oil etc it cost me 70 quid.

Was the spedo anything fancy.

I thought the going rate was £50 an hour for labour? He said the speedo was a bitch to fit because it had sensors on it for the highbeam, indicator, neutral lights. I was going to do the disc myself but when I started the first to unscrew the first bolt, it rounded, so I sacked it. I could of done the speedo as well with some help froma friend but couldn't be arsed with the stress.

I would still have done it myself. What will you do if you return it to stock. Or is this a one way upgrade. Surely that could transfer on to your next bike......

The original speedo was knackered. I was going to replace it with a Yammy one but that would break as well in time. It is a common problem with the model of my bike so I bought that one. I'm that busy at the moment I don't really have time to do it, and I can't afford my bike to be out of action. I do plan on doing all the other up and coming work though, I've just bought one of these to help me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-LIFT-Motocross-Stand-Enduro-Motocycle-MX-/370534959820?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item56459acacc

• 1 month later...

Now you've got me worried that my speedo will inevitably fail :( Is the modified fitting bracket any complicated or is it simple enough to DIY?

Unrelated, I've also been looking at getting a bike stand for my XT, how is the one you bought working out for you? I wouldn't have thought the base plate for the XT could take the load for that type of stand so I've just been looking for rear paddock stands.

Now you've got me worried that my speedo will inevitably fail :( Is the modified fitting bracket any complicated or is it simple enough to DIY?

Unrelated, I've also been looking at getting a bike stand for my XT, how is the one you bought working out for you? I wouldn't have thought the base plate for the XT could take the load for that type of stand so I've just been looking for rear paddock stands.

The bike garage who fit he speedo manufactured the extra brackets to enable the speedo to fit, but if you know what your doing, or have an idea it won't be too difficult. In fact if you don't have no experience, pay some one to fit the speedo, because it is a ballache.

When I first got my XT I thought the stand was ridiculous and down right wank, not fit for purpose. But like anything, after time I got used to it and now it doesn't bother me. You will eventually get used to it. If you want a stand for repairing your bike, get a motocross style one like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BikeTek-Dirt-Bike-Enduro-Motocross-Motorcycle-Moto-X-MX-Trials-Lift-Stand-/130802093090?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e74698c22

I've got one and it's ok.

I was just wondering if the underside of the XT could support for the lift stands. I know it's a supermoto so the stand should cause no problems... right?

Sorry, I'm also kinda misled by your post, are you talking about the side stand that comes with the bike or the lift stand linked in your previous post?

I was just wondering if the underside of the XT could support for the lift stands. I know it's a supermoto so the stand should cause no problems... right?

Sorry, I'm also kinda misled by your post, are you talking about the side stand that comes with the bike or the lift stand linked in your previous post?

Sorry yeah, the XT will be fine on a lift stand because they have bash plates. You won't be able to take the wheels off if you use a paddock stand.

Obviously you have to lift it on. No bike will wheel directly over one with space to clear. They are not car jacks. You need some height on them so its easier to work on your bike, your not down on your knees when your doing bits and bats.

It's a 2008. I went down to pick up some stuff at the garage today and I asked the guy about the lift stands and how compatible they were with my XT and he said the lift stands are really for the lighter true off-road bikes. Those in particular have extra support underneath for the lift stands to be used. I had a look under my XT and there is no real support for a lift stand apart from the bash plate attached to the frame with bolts. I'm not sure how much abuse you can give until the bash plate caves in so he suggested it's safer going for a paddock stand and the only thing that you won't be able to do with them is to take out the rear shock absorber.

Your best off with a paddock stand then. I have one and have used it a few times and it's been ok. I know what you mean though with the bash plate, it's better to be safe than sorry. I got the stand because I had to take the wheels off to change the callipers.

FINALLY SOMETHING I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT

don't worry about the bashplate i have a 2005 and certain its the original plate, me and my uncle have been lifting the bike up onto

a decorating style 'bench' basically a metal fold out table for standing on (about a foot wide and two long, cant seam to find any pics similar to it online ATM but i will). The bashplate is A okay (other then the obvious scrape marks) and so are the brackets its attached too, its been up on this for about 2 or 3 days on and off with all the times we have had it up on there (changing the wheels over to R, new bearings, something with the brakes lol, but yeah NO PROBLEMO,

encase it isn't obvious in the way i worded that all the bikes weight is sported by the bashplate and not the wheels. be careful obviously don't just drop the bike onto it and you will be just fine

Extorsionate b*sds " ,, If they [ garage staff] came to me to have building work done, and i said £50 per hr. what do you think they would say, :shakeno: So them so called Fitters , charge upto £80 perHr, and think we should pay up.

The way i see it, if the job on my Motor is more than a weeks wage , f*k it , i take a week off and fix it my self,

Did this last year, when my landy gearbox lost 5"th & reverse , took 2 days , to strip box , and drop in a discovery inards,[ box i had spare,] , would have been £1000, at garage,

Grouch"o if you earn £400, a week, you could have took 2.5 days to fix that,,,rather than give them greedy fukers £195 :eusa_snooty:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online