Electrical Probelm

johnalpi
This post is 4052 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi peeps.

I was down the local racetrack the other day, driving along fine. I went to change gear and the bike died and the rev counter dropped to zero, then fired up again and all was well, for about 1 min then it dies, in the same way, but this time didn't start up. I'm on the fooking motorway BTW!

So I pull over and go to start it again. It starts, but as soon as the rev counter hits 5k, it dies. Complete electrical failure, lights the lot. Leave it a couple of seconds and it'll fire up but dies again at 5k!

Any ideas? Has anyone had the same problem with their bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like a regulator/ rectifier fault. possible its breaking down due to an overload when revving. it may be possible to check the voltage at the battery as you rev it up. if it starts to increase with the revs, a new regulator may be required.

hope this helps.

• 7 years later...

I remember this issue. As it turned out it was loose wires coming out of the ignition barrel and the vibrations from the engine, at 5K, shook the connection loose. I soldered it back up, and all was good

P.S. it has taken me this long to sort the problem out ;)

Holly duck 8 yrs later WOW.I'm with air this must be some sort of record,most would have thrown the towel in and given up.

Might I suggest a little test I do for next time this sort of thing comes up,wiggel test,with the bike running move the wires around all the wires,bad/poor connections can be hard to find.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online