Handlebar grips

fatlad74
This post is 4273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have purchased some handlebar grips off Ebay for my motorbike. I have gotten the one on the nearside on ok but am finding it difficult to get the offside grip on as its extremely tight. I have tried vaseline and it will only go on so far.

Any suggestions please peeps?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldn't use gay bar lube to get them on, just because once the grip is on you will find that the Vaseline will keep it lubed for ever and you will have a slippy grip, best to use GT85 it smells great and lubes it up great and after an hour or so it evaporates and you get a firm grip (double pun) Can you post a pic of the handle bar and the in side of the grip at all?

Is you new bars got dimples or indents to run cables through? if so then thats your prob, what happens is when they make the bars and put the dimples in they de-form the roundness of the pipe making it....................well..............not round, so your nice new "round" grips wont go over the slightly wider bar.

Sadly there is only two way to get round this, Either don't push the grip up that far (making sure the throttle grip is the same) or grind the flat bits down a bit at a time till the grip fits.

Have a look and report back ;)

Again that takes a good week or so to evaporate till the grip............um grips :eusa_whistle:

I use a blow gun and air it works like charm. temporaly blowing air as your pushing it on makes the grip expand just enough to slide it on and no lube to let it slip

I recently replaced mine and they went on without any major problems. My throttle grip went straight on but the opposite grip required some gentle force I. E. my hammer.

I use a blow gun and air it works like charm. temporaly blowing air as your pushing it on makes the grip expand just enough to slide it on and no lube to let it slip

I've always used this method too, works great if you have an aircompressor. I've heard of some people using hairspray although I've never tried it.

You shouldn't use anything that will not evaporate. WD40 is oil based and you will have trouble cleaning it off.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online