Where can I find a brake arm and some other stuff for an RD 125 DX?

Mastiff
This post is 4295 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My son changed his sprockets and chain, and he thought he had fastened all bolts and stuff. He was wrong. Luckily he wasn't dead wrong, though. He's still alive. But he obviously didn't secure the bolt to the torque arm, because that came loose, so the rod became a coil around the spacer and locked up his back wheel. He managed to keep the bike in his lane and stopped, but there was a bit of damage. So I need parts for the bike. The main thing is the brake arm, which snapped off. The rear wheel spindle and spacer are bent as well. Finally I need the rod, which is easy, since Yambits has those. But that's all they have. Does anybody know where I can find the brake arm, spindle and spacer? Yamaha does not have them in Norway because this bike has never been sold here. But are those parts the same as the parts for any other models?

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Mastiff

I don't know the RD125 DX very well and I don’t know the age of your DX , I purchased a new rear brake arm for my 30 odd year old DT 175 Twin shock, I looked in my local Yamaha shop and realised that the rear brake arm from the 125 Chopper / cruiser bike looked the same, I asked at the parts counter they checked it out and it fitted, so I bet that you could do the same I should imagine that any Yamaha bike that shares the same drum brake shoes will also share the same brake arm, this would seem to be the case for my bike,

Aj

Nayruf, thanks for the suggestion! This is a 81 (cast wheel) model. Problem is that there are no Yamaha-dealers in the area, so I wouldn't know where to go. I asked about the brake arm that Yambits sell, but that wouldn't fit my bike, she said. So I don't think it's that easy. :(

Airhead, when did something as mundane as a near death experience teach an immortal 16 year old anything? ;)

Mastiff. I did exactly the same thing as a 22year old on my RD125DX.

Difference was 20 years ago stuff was easier to get !

Scrappies or motor jumbles are a possible idea. May have to enquire in other countries that sold the RD though.

Blue Urgent, unfortunately the bike's never been sold here in Norway, so there are no scrappies who has it. I'm going to try Sweden, though. That's where the bike came from.

Mervin, I've searched all there is to search for RD 125 DX and 200 DX, but nothing. Which is why I'm wondering if there are any other bikes that have the same parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have mail warning. ;) And no, he isn't all fixed up yet. We need the spacer, which isn't easy to find. So tomorrow I'm taking the measurements to a local machining shop to ask them to make somthing thatfits, in aluminium or steel. Perferably alu, so it doesn't rust.

OK, thanks! I'll go for steel, then. I have some zink spray paint here, I guess I could use that.

It's 36 mm long, 15 mm inner diameter and 23 mm outer diameter. So that should make the walls 3 mm. Maybe they have some kind of pipe that can fit.

RD200 &RD125 twins share lots of parts,,, fenders are the rarest parts,, i emailed a frenchman [ triples member] who has one,

parts are realy scarce,,, :eusa_doh:

Well, it's easy to get most of the stuff. I have found everything so far, except for that spacer. But I'm pretty confident I can get it made tomorrow, so the bike should be on the road Wednesday, which it needs to be. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online