XVS125 Dragstar Service Manual - Is there such a thing?

Morgraal
This post is 3660 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I've been looking at the Haynes manual site and eBay for a hard copy of a service manual for the XVS125 Dragstar, but I can't even find the exsistence of such a manual!

Does anyone know if a manual exists for the XVS125 and if so, where I can buy one?

If it doesn't exist, is there a manual about for a similar bike (Virago?) that I can buy in it's place?

This is all new to me and I'd like to know my bike better.

Many thanks

Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I may be wrong on this, but there are usually three basic types of manual for bikes:

1/. Owners Manual - You usually get this with the bike when it's new. Tells you how to work it and how to maintain it, change oil, plugs, fuses, etc. Good for the basics

2/. Haynes Manual - DIY guide to servicing the bike and doing a fair bit, up to some pretty major repairs. Occasionally flawed, though and often things like the wiring diagrams are not quite accurate. Photos are usually black & white and everything has been done not only with a brand ne perfectly clean bike from the factory, but things like the engine have usually been removed for the purposes of showing you stuff. The reality can sometimes be much more awkward than just following what the book says.

In the US they have the Clymer Manual. Same thing and sometimes found for cheaper than Haynes.

3/. Workshop or Service Manual - This is what your local mechanic uses. Can be found, but can also be expensive. Usually far more accurate and has line diagrams instad of photos, making things much clearer. Usually includes the torque settings for every single bolt and technical gubbins on everything you use, from tools to lube to rubber gloves.

Now... I don't believe there's an actual Haynes/Clymer for the 125 Drag, but I know there's a Workshop Manual. We used to keep a sticky of where to get them, but they are around online - FREE downloadable PDF documents.

Plus, there's always the Owners Manual to start with, which is usually easier to find... and, of course, there's us lot here! ;)

Just don't ask me too much as it's been years since I had my 125 Drag and I forget shit, heh heh!

Thanks all.

It's more an Haynes manual that I was looking for, got the owners manual direct from the Yamaha website.

I'll look a bit harder and see what these Clymer manuals have.

Cheers

M

I'd personally advise the Workshop Manual. Pics and diagrams are usually clearer, advice is better and more comprehensive, most can be found for free download and because I'm an arrogant snob! :D

• 1 month later...

I've only had my XVS 125 a couple of days (my first ever bike!) but just discovered there is an oil leak from the front right fork. My Dad said he would help me fix it if I can get a copy of the Workshop manual.Can anyone advise where I can get one? I tried searching this forum, but the links I found were dead. All the copies on the internet are either on sites which set off my anti-virus alarm or cost money to download. I'm a skint college student and hoping to find a free copy somewhere - can anyone here help me? Please? :-)

Cheers,

Jon M.

• 1 year later...

However, we can NOT link to download locations directly here, as it *is* illegal and all....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online