1976 DT175C

Sacha
This post is 3462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys! Apologies for the delayed response. My progress has been slow the past couple weeks. Had my brother's birthday to celebrate so didn't get anything done that weekend. Then came down with the bottle flu yesterday... looks like I can't drink tequila as well as I used to... ah, well, I should leave it to the young 'uns anyway I suppose. Got the shocks installed today...

progress102112_sm.jpg

but still looks like it's had less progress. :) I'm waiting for a new headlight mounting kit since one of the side grommets tore on me and then I'll put that back on. Wanted to get CorradosandYahas' motor swapped this weekend, but with taking an entire day to recover from the tequila I didn't. Looks like this week or next weekend for that. I better get on it, they're calling for snow this week, eh?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looking good.... justa tip tape rags over the frame so when you put the eng in you don't scratch the paint..

BTW you can keep the snow all to yourselves, we've been blessed with some beauty weather18-20c won't last I know, but it's nice while it lasts. Wen't for a ride yesterday to look at a snow mobile with a freind and past ton's of others out riding.

Well the weather app on my phone called for 40% chance of rain today... and wouldn't you know, my bike's in the parking lot having a wash courtesy of mother nature. ah well, good thing I'm not made of sugar. :biglaugha:

And don't forget you will need the magneto and stator plate from your engine to get that one running. Are at least a new source coil. Dont hesitate to call with any questions when it comes time to get her roaring(or whatever sound best describes these old smokers; screaming maybe).

And don't forget you will need the magneto and stator plate from your engine to get that one running. Are at least a new source coil. Dont hesitate to call with any questions when it comes time to get her roaring(or whatever sound best describes these old smokers; screaming maybe).

Will do. Thanks! I'd say my little one sounds like a tin can of angry bees. :)

Ya, ya... got a little bit done. Managed to pull the motor from your '75...

1975dt002.jpg

but ran into a hiccup...

1975dt001.jpg

There was water and it looks like grease (but must be oil?) in the case with the oil pump. Looks like I may need to do a little bit of gasket work. I also got some parts in the mail so I can finally get the (new) handlebars on and start installing the switches and cables. Plan on spending the weekend with her... don't tell my husband. :eusa_shifty:

Yep that is definitely an oil and water mix. If you really want to get after it you might want to consider re-sealing the whole engine.You can substitute silicone for the case gaskets. Air head will probably have to chime in on where that oil around the pump is coming from. I would imagine there has to be a lip seal around the drive shaft for the pump as it goes through the case.

But if you have a few hours to waste you can also pull the clutch/basket and make sure everything is good there and replace the gear side crank seal. Also since the mag/stator plate are already removed you should do the mag side crank seal as well. After that its just kickstart, clutch finger, and gear selector oil seals which are all easily accessible from the outside of the engine. All those seals are available from rocky mountain for around $5 a piece. And then you wont be doing one every two weeks til they are all new which is the way it seems to go when one starts leaking.

Good luck and who knows maybe your husband will dig sharing you with another girl. Even if she is a dirty one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Can I ask, I'm a bit of a newbie myself and just restoring a DT175B. Did you get your seat recovered, if so, who did it and how much did you pay. Mine is in a similar state and I've seen the prices for the foam & cover.

Thanks

Hi,

Can I ask, I'm a bit of a newbie myself and just restoring a DT175B. Did you get your seat recovered, if so, who did it and how much did you pay. Mine is in a similar state and I've seen the prices for the foam & cover.

Thanks

I'm actually quite lucky in that my husband knows a guy who does upholstery (and well). I've picked out the vinyl and he has the foam, but we're waiting to shape and cover it until I have a rolling chassis so that he can fit it proper on the bike. He said he'd just charge me for the materials, and he's going to let me help. :) I think it's going to be less than $100 all said and done.

On another note, I managed to source front and rear spoke sets and have the wheels at the shop to have them laced and new tires installed. I'll likely be taking the motor to them too for new crank bearings and seals, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, alright... you're probably all expecting to come back to a complete and running bike by now, eh? Well, I'm afraid I have to disappoint. All I've done recently is get replace the front and rear brake shoes and clean up the wheel hubs. The oil seal in the rear wheel hub was a !@*#, but I finally got it, and now have the wheel bearings out. All that's left is to replace the wheel bearings and seals... and then the wheels will be done. :D So that's some progress... not much, but some.

Took the motor from CorradosandYahas' bike to the shop and they want to do the top end. They said the bearings are good, but the piston and barrel need work. They're going to go up one size on the piston so hopefully I'm not getting totally taken. ??

Thanks for staying tuned... I haven't abandoned my baby. :)

Have them do the cranks seals as well,they don't need to split the cases to change them.But the age of them I would be woried about them leaking and wrecking your new top end.

At least your making headway and spring is a few months anyway lots of time to finnish it before then.

Thanks guys! And the crank seals are getting replaced while they've got it. :)

Good move sash" as goosed seals are a nightmare, it would never idle proper , .especialy when hot,

and leans the mixture , or burns the gearbox oil,

I hope there truthfull and change them , and not just charge you, for a quick buck,

A good garage will show the old parts,

Is it finished yet?

:biglaugha: you're funny.

:biglaugha: you're funny.

A little push to get going never hurts,keeps one motivadted.

Tight seals ,nice new top end,good bottom end,nice fitting rod/pistion to slide in a perfect fit,in your fresh bore,polish the case ... wherre was i going with this? :biglaugha: Should be nice

A little push to get going never hurts,keeps one motivadted.

Tight seals ,nice new top end,good bottom end,nice fitting rod/pistion to slide in a perfect fit,in your fresh bore,polish the case ... wherre was i going with this? :biglaugha: Should be nice

Or in my case a big push. :P