Which bike should I fix?

CorradosandYahas
This post is 4360 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, this is my first post so ill head over to the intro forum and formerly introduce myself after this.

I recently got two parts bikes for free with the ambition of making one working bike out of them. I want your guys advice on which is a better resto project.

Bike one 1975 DT175.

Pros:

Runs and drives currently with alot of parts robbed from the second bike.

Kind of like the chrome springs and reservoirs on the rear suspension.

came with a service manual(usually a bad sign)

good rubber

Cons:

Electrical is a nightmare. I really believe a PO tried to get all the electrical accesories to run straight of the magneto. And he Used black wire and wire nuts for all of it. I was able to get it sorted out enough, but it needs a new harness.

No ignition switch key so I have the shorter ign switch from the second bike zip tied to the frame.

No tach cable

Did i mention the electrical is a nightmare.

Bike two 1978 DT175MX

Pros:

Started second kick after being parked with most parts in boxes for 8 years.

Fewer miles on the odo

doesn't have the goofy head with all the plugs in it.

has expansion chamber on the pipe

both gauges worked before i stole the cables for the other bike

Cons:

Carb is damn near destroyed took about an hour of cleaning just to get the oxidization and scale out of the bowl.

Clutch is seized with no oil in the gearcase when i got it

Tires are toast and wheels are missing about 8 spokes.

Are either of these bikes more rare or "vintage" than the other? What are the chances of getting the clutch pack free'd up without splitting the case? And most importantly which bike is going to be more fun to fart around on both on and off road?

Thanks in advance

-Dave

EDIT: Can yamaha order keys with just the ign switch number? I noticed the number on the key is the same as the switch.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi C&Y

Personally I would fix both of them, start with the easiest, but along the way keep a look out for parts for both, for me the twin shock is the prettier bike but the MX is the better bike on/off road, I got some new keys cut from blanks via a key cutting shop in our local town,

I have seen both models for sale for similar values original bikes in good condition fetch more as is always the case.

Welcome dave" the clutch will need stripped, its just the side casing off , to access the clutch, lots of parts in USA, your lucky, :jossun:

Arrrghhh so much peer pressure. Alright you talked me into it. I actually found a local motorcycle "boneyard" that specializes in 70's and 80's japanes motorcycles. Gonna check it out on friday. Definitely going to use your MX as inspiration Airhead, that is a great looking old yamaha.

I do have a few questions.

What is a good premix ratio? Both autolubes are capped until i can check the integrity of the pumps. The book calls for 15:1 for the non autolube dt125. I'm running a 20:1 right now. Is that to rich or lean a mixture for the 175?

What things commonly go bad or need to be re-spec'ed on these 175's i.e. breaker point gap, ign timing, base gaskets?

I think I'm honestly just astounded that with a cumulative twenty years of sitting un-ran they both started up with minimal restoring. It seems to good to be true.

Thanks for the input and encouragement

-Dave

Good work dave" once you"ve had it on a run,[ a few miles] be intresting to see if she idles & runs proper , after a long layup the crank seals often go hard, keep us posted,,, :photo2:

Good work dave" once you"ve had it on a run,[ a few miles] be intresting to see if she idles & runs proper , after a long layup the crank seals often go hard, keep us posted,,, :photo2:

Yeah the mag side crank seal on the 1975 is toast, and the 1978 has a leaking kick crank seal. They both idle great and the 78 is a quick little bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online