DT175 MX newbie

Cosmo
This post is 4341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello folks!

My name is Phil, i am 50 and "emigrated" to London in the early 90's - job relocation and the love of a good woman, so they say!

Anyway, after spending many years of storage in my parents garage, my 1981 DT175 MX and i have finally been reunited! She needs a bit of TLC but it's only minor things, such as the fuel tank being cleaned of the sediment, a new seat and i will also replace the chain and sprockets for good measure, as these are a little worn.

I initially got interested in the DT when i seen my neighbour with a 1973 model. As i was a schoolboy at that time, buying one was out of the question. However, once i was a little older i stumbled into a dealership and i managed to find a 1981 MX model that was six months old. Needless to say, i took the plunge and bought the bike and we have remained together ever since.

I am also restoring a Z1100R1 Eddie Lawson replica, as well as making the DT roadworthy. And i also ride a bike for work, although this is a current model, not a classic. These two classic bikes aren't for general commuting because of the scarcity of them plus the wear and tear that they would accumulate. Luckily, my wife turns a blind eye to my hobby, which is just as well, as i am still in my first childhood as far as vehicles are concerned.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the YOC Phil. Any pics of her? The bike or the good woman... whichever you feel like posting. :D (har,har)

Hello Sacha, Airhead and Dirty DT! Thanks for the greetings - it's nice to feel wanted! Hahaha! :)

I'm new to forums, so i need a bit of hand holding as regards to using the forum, especially the uploading of pictures, as i cannot find out how to upload a picture of the bike.

I'm in the process of converting the bike to 12 volts and i struggled a little. However, i only speed read Neo's article and if i had taken the time to digest what he wrote and i read it properly, i'd be a little further ahead than i am now...sigh!

Other little touches are that i've managed to get a new number plate made that is identical to the original one that came with the bike, which is a nice touch, as the original perspex plate got damaged years ago. And it's difficult recreating a number plate with logo's and making it legal. However, small touches like this make a difference, i think. :hyper:

Welcome to the forum Mr Smallpiece.

...........I'm new to forums, so i need a bit of hand holding as regards to using the forum, especially the uploading of pictures, as i cannot find out how to upload a picture of the bike.

you will need to open a photobucket account for yourself, upload your pics to your photobucket account, then you will be able to post them here...it is well worth your while learning how to do this because questions can sometimes be so much clearer when backed up by a photo

see the FAQ's sub forum in 'New Members' for more explanation

...small touches like this make a difference, i think. :hyper:

I'm inclined to agree... attention to detail can make all the difference. :)

...see the FAQ's sub forum in 'New Members' for more explanation

+1

Hello and welcome Phil.

Looking forward to seeing your photos of the bike once you've sussed posting them.

And well done on keeping hold of that DT for so long!

Wish I had!!

Would have saved me a lot of bother, over 30 years later! :)

V.

Hello and welcome Phil.

Looking forward to seeing your photos of the bike once you've sussed posting them.

And well done on keeping hold of that DT for so long!

Wish I had!!

Would have saved me a lot of bother, over 30 years later! :)

V.

Heh, had mine since i was 16, she has always been a quality example of triggers broom and long may she stay that way. Detail, um not really sure whats original but she's been the current assemblance of parts for a while now.

Hello one and all and thanks for making me feel so welcome!

I apologise for not replying sooner - work sometimes keeps me away for days at a time and i feel kinda guilty when i see how many people have made the effort but it's days before they see my reply.

It always amazes me how many folk have these machines when they make their presence know on the forum because you rarely see these bikes now unless it's at a show. MIne isn't immaculate, as it is what i call a working bike rather than a trailered machine. But it's in one piece and i'm proud to have owned her and kept her.

I laughed my socks off at Ventura's reference to Triggers broom - how apt! Hahaha! And thanks for Airheads instructions on telling me to open a photobucket account. I will do this and post some pictures once the bike is in one piece. I'm experiencing some problems at the moment regarding the running of the machine but i guess that's for the technical help forum. Oh, the joys of motoring, eh?

So, once again, many thanks for making me feel so welcome and best regards to Ventura, Airhead, Blackhat250, Sacha, DirtyDT and Cynic! :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online