poor gas mileage

mikeps3
This post is 4353 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone ,I have a 1981 Yamaha DT 175 H runs great ,start good no problems with that and idles great, but gets bad gas mileage ,my son in law has the same bike only older a 1978 and gets way better gas mileage , when we go riding i run out of gas at about 51 miles and he gets about 78 miles wih his dt 175 ,i don't leak any gas and the bike revs good all through all 6 gears and tops out at 61 miles an hour ,any clues to my gas mileage problems thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might be your style of riding that does it, if your heavy on the throttle then you will get less mileage but 20 mpg more on your son in law's bike might mean that you need to adjust your carb settings, it might be running a bit rich and that would make your mileage worse as you use more for every mile you travel. Just a thought but what do you weigh? It could just be that your bigger than him so more weight to move means more petrol/gas to get it shifting, plus do you have a windshield or some other thing attached to your bike that he does not that could make a big difference to how the bike runs, just a thought really as with out a comparison just shooting wild as to what the problem if any might be. :jossun:

Also as well, different riding conditions affect MPG.

In the winter months when I'm commuting to work (six miles) I have to fill up every 80 miles (without going to reserve) I need the bike to warm up first before moving off.

But this time of year I only need to fill up at 100 miles. I can more or less start the bike and move off within 1 minute.

Whilst commuting I am constantly changing gears, accelerating and braking which lowers the fuel consumption.

Commuting, I tend to average about 46 mpg

Going for a long run about 70 miles mainly keeping in top gear I tend to average 75 mpg

Do you understand what I'm saying Mike, if so explain to me because I don't. Only joking :icon_biggrin:

we usually ride side bye side or one following the other ,i weigh 154 lbs. he weighs 140 lbs. my bike is striped down ,no lights or turn signals no brake lights ,his has all of the lights, and i don't have a windshield on my bike

Ok Mike it looks like you need to look at the jetting on your bike, as the years are a bit different between the bikes there will probably be some differences in the jet sizes so look in your manual (hope you got one!) and see what the recomended jet is for your bike then have a looksee in the carb and see what you actually have if it's different to the standard one there is the probable end to your problem but if it's spot on then try adjusting your ignition to make it run a bit leaner, not to lean or you will burn out your piston, other than that you could try a slightly smaller jet to reduce your consumtion but after that I suggest you swap bikes with your son in law, he might not like it but you will save a bundle (joke). Honestly after all that you might try talking to your local Yam dealer to see if he has an idea as to what your next move might be, perhaps if you lay flat to the tank you can reduce your fuel consumption, you'll look a total tit but think of the money your saving, (ok that was another joke. I shall stop now). Ask your son in law to ride your bike and see if he has a lower fuel use, he might coast down hill's and such thus saving wear and tear and fuel, you never know it's the small things that make a difference some times. Hope some of that helps and you fogive the bad jokes at your expence? :biglaugha: :biglaugha:

Thanks I'll try to use a smaller jet