dtr only doing 65mph

spurs59
This post is 3714 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ah, the much needed sarcasm! The Engines in TVR's and land rovers may well be the same but they'll be geard very different, tuned very different, as said before, extremely different weights, ride height, tyres, fueling, air intake etc etc.

The TZR and DT use the same engine, full stop. Yes the belgarda runs a delorto 32mm carb but they are essentially the same but in different bodys. I personally didnt buy a "dirt bike and expect the same speeds as an rs". The Dt is a dual purpose trail bike. It was designed for the road with the ability to be able to ride well on green lanes and dirt tracks, not like a "dirt bike" or motocross which was designed for low speed, lots of power and enough suspension to jump the grand canyon!

The point of the thread was a DT that will only do 65mph. For a DT as anyone who rides one will know, this is not its full potential. Whether they have been modded to do 100mph+ as some claim is another matter. I'm merely saying that they should be able to do more than that and expressing my surprise that a 600 in the same form will only just do 100mph.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm wasting my time.

It wasn't sarcasm it was an example, a very good one i thought.

I agree.

The TTR has unbelievable torque, but is geared for off-road. At a very vague guess, I'm guessing a crosser would have a top speed of 110-120 anyway, whatever you do to it. Given that the terminal velocity (top speed) of a skydiver is about 124mph, and I wouldn't think a TTR is more aerodynamic than that, I'd say that's about max.

Also, it has a pretty big rear sprocket. Like we mentioned, it's geared for off-road, which is why I reckon a new sprcket is the way to go, OP. Just remember you'll have to change the speedo ratio unless you have a front-wheel cable speedo (like I do).

I still think your bike should be faster as is though. Perhaps there's a restriction somewhere? 'AndyDtr08', I can get a bit faster, but not for long, for fear of blowing something up!

As for the Range Rover problem, it's all a case of where you conduct the speed test... :D

I'm wasting my time.

It wasn't sarcasm it was an example, a very good one i thought.

My apologies then, just seemed that way.

Yeah they definitly are geared for offroad but even without playing with the gearing my standard DT125RE hit 84mph on it's clocks and I wouldnt have pushed it for the same reasons of not wanting to blow it up.

If I'd swapped the zorst over or removed the CAT, fitted a 32mm delorto carb and 4dl CDI and 4DL barrel and head like suggested in another post i wonder what it would have reached.

It's actually spurred me on to build another DTR. I've been scourring ebay for parts and have spent more money than i should, hence the sale of my 86 DT in the for sale section.

But I'm going to make a 33bhp one if i can.

Ive got a frame which turned up yesterday, just need to apply for V5.

4DL CDI a mate has who is selling me.

I've got a pallet, yes a pallet of spares being delivered from scotland tomorrow.

Clocks, headlight, tail light on numberplate bracket etc arrived yesterday too.

Now looking for someone to powdercoat the frame and will start building! Will make a thread in projects soon.

Will get a satnav and the go pro out once its done and see how wrong/right I am!

Maybe 'making a good point with a humourously obvious example' would've been better than 'sarcasm'? :)

I digress.

Yeah they definitly are geared for offroad but even without playing with the gearing my standard DT125RE hit 84mph on it's clocks and I wouldnt have pushed it for the same reasons of not wanting to blow it up.

Perhaps OP and I are just too cautious when it comes to the not-blowing-it-up mindset... Without a rev counter it's a bit scary to blindly guess, and I doubt I have a rev limiter. I'll just have to test some more!

It's a two stroke. Rev it, then rev it some more. Then rebuild it.

Maybe 'making a good point with a humourously obvious example' would've been better than 'sarcasm'? :)

I digress.

Perhaps OP and I are just too cautious when it comes to the not-blowing-it-up mindset... Without a rev counter it's a bit scary to blindly guess, and I doubt I have a rev limiter. I'll just have to test some more!

Perhaps you are, I had no rev counter either as it was the later DT RE but had ridden DT125R's with rev counters so could hear roughly how far she was. I'm glad my RD has a rev counter. I often find myself changing gear as it sounds high, when its at about 3k. Obviously thats only when the girlfriends on the back and I'm tryng to be responsible. Most of the time it's impossible not to change at 8 after 2.5-3k of powerband.

• 1 year later...

fastest I got out of my dt125r was about 63mph then ran out of road, so possibly could have squeezed a bit more out of it, with a top box on too!

felt like 100mph though, that's plenty for that type of bike