First Bike Options

This post is 4416 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Im new to this site and looking for my first big bike (well, big-ish). I was initially looking at a 400 but they are quite rare now and quite old. But the cbr 400 sounds amazing.

The bikes i have been looking at are the Yamaha FZR600, Suzuki Bandit 600, Yamaha Thundercat 600 and a few others, I'm not after a crazy sports bike, just something better to get me to work (20 miles away) and something to go for a play on at the weekends and the shows (builth wells etc).

Any suggestions or advice on choosing a first bike will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bandit and Hornet are pretty much the same breed - Utter 'Hoolie' bikes, with small differences that only owners of either one can really comment on, IMO.

That's not to say they can't be ridden in a nice, calm, serene and safe fashion - I've seen plenty of owners do exactly that.

But if you ever want to misbehave at all, you have that option!

FZR600 - The Fazer, as I believe it's called. I only really know by reputation, that being that it requires a bit of looking after, but is a stalwart workhorse and a pillar of the 600cc range.

Thundercat 600 - Known a few people who've had one. They liked them. Most went for one in bright yellow. I don't recall seeing them in any other colour, actually!

Oh, advice on choosing a first big bike...

Try and get a test ride, if possible.

If you don't know much about condition, etc, take a friend along.

More than anything else, make sure you're comfy on it.

I always wanted a fast, red ultra-modern sporty thing... And then I sat on a Cruiser. I was sold from that moment!

... And then I sat on a Cruiser. I was sold from that moment!

Me too, even my 125 was a cruiser. Much more confident having your feet firmly planted on the ground when needs be, and more comfortable.

Thanks, yeah I was looking a CBR's and things like that at first but because I have to ride to work everyday I would like something more comfy, but with the ability to have a bit of fun in the bends. I have read that the Thundercats are very comfy too and im a fan of the sports bike look.

I'll see about test rides too!!

Thanks

Matt

Just to balance the argument I rode my old mans intruder once, found it heavy dull and exasperated at all the metal i was grinding off in every corner.

Bikes are very personal, keep a very open view on your first, my poison is the 2 stroke, comfort is passable, fuel consumption shocking, and reliability is of the throw a six to start variety. But when you know how to grab it by the balls and tell it who's boss the rush is a bit special.

There are the commuter hum drum stuff, the 600bandit has spent its life living in the shade (glory) of the 12 as one is brilliant,the other not brutal enough for its looks. Honda's are OK but thats as excited as i have ever got over one they just work.

There are folks on here love their big singles too, or the power rangers. If were honest we all think we ride far faster than we actually do and a 250superdream would be all the bike most of us ACTUALLY need.

But its that personal thing again, think very hard over what you want from a bike. Sole transport and must do everything, total toy and can be as fikle and tempramental as a pissed of girlfriend. Want fuel economy, like moto cross, prefer the looks of a classic like a GS1000, it doesent end.

You must at some point have seen a bike irrelevant of any practicalities and thought "fuck me i could handle one of those", once you have that thought come back with what it is and then we can give you some options.

i know of a good fzr 600 for sale (its in the for sale section)