Disc lock recommendation for XVS125?

ddlooping
This post is 4426 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I found out recently that my bike insurance company would pay a less if my bike was stolen if I did not have a secondary insurance approved lock fitted, so I would make sure that any lock I acquired was accredited by some type of insurance affiliation.

I've used both a Xena alarmed disclock and a cheapy one from the bike specials in Lidl.

First thing to do is look at the key and the keyway.

As an amateur lockpicker (with a lot of fancy lockpicking tools), there are two types I would recommend:

Abloy style Cam Lock:

10265772-2.jpg

Dimple or Mul-T-Lock style:

Key_Inserts.jpg

Both the above are almost impossible to break with conventional tools (unless you want to destroy the brake disc) and are F**KING hard to pick even with the right tools. No thief will bother messing with these!

If the key is one of the tubular ones or looks anything like your normal front door key, forget it. I can rake most of those open within 20 seconds, or bump them in less than 3!!

Second - Look for a lock one where the shackle is shrouded as much as possible - Makes it awkward to get a decent cutter in and impossible to use bolt cutters, etc.

Don't get the ones that are padlock-shaped - An angle grinder will make very short work of most of them.

Good - Oxford Quartz:

OxfordQuartzDiscLock.jpg

Good - Xena brand:

4010-0080-Xena-XN-Series-XN18-Self-Arming-110dB-Alarm-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock-Carbide.jpg

Bad - Datatool Devil padlocky thing:

Datatool_Devil_1000_motorcycle_disc_lock.jpg

Remember that Disclocks are tertiary security devices.

Primary is leaving the bike somewhere sensible and unattractive to thieves.

Secondary is making sure it's immovable (heavily chained to something big).

Also - Consider a lock with the reminder cable or something and get into the habit of always checking to see you've removed it before riding.

Always put the lock on right up against the back of the forks - That way, if you do ride off with teh lock on, you'll only move a few inches, rather than several feet before going arse-over-tit!!!

I use an Oxford Nemesis for travelling - it fits in a pocket, bag or under the pillion seat

748ac31c5471bffeb7b08ce533e33a96.jpg

You get 5 keys BTW.

At home I use the Nemesis, a Oxford Hardcore XL chain and lock connected to an Kryptonite ground anchor

41f4iFBfYbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh yes, and the bike alarm.

My Yammy doesn't have an alarm. Do they still make a model that'll fit?

They are not worth the money. It was on the bike when I brought it. A decent one costs around £350 and I wouldn't spend that on one. Good locks are much better value.

I used a Krall disc lock and never had anyone try to take the bike, but I resigned myself to the fact that a professional theif would have taken it, but at least it stopped the chances.

Ttasky has given good advice about your best lines of defence, I tend to park the bike in town near the police station in the conveniently placed bike bays and when in the garage they're locked and chained to a ground anchor...

I use the disk lock from Lidl's, its very similar to the Oxford Titan, and the key type is the first one that Tasky mentions so should be OK comes with a pouch and cable so is easy to carry on the bike for day to day use, I also have a Oxford Lock and chain that I use at home with a ground anchor in the garage that I will take if I am going to an unknown area, the bike has a Datatool alarm/imobiliser that was on the bike when I got it, and I always use the steering lock as well.

It looks like a good deterrent but I'm a bit put off by the report of false triggering.

They have adjustable sensitivity, IIRC.

If it's that much a concern, take the batteries out

They are not worth the money.

Depends how you use it...

There are 2 types of attack you'll need to protect against - Scrotes and Thieves.

Scrotes just want a joy-ride and might target any bike. They may have a screwdriver and a couple of other tools, but that's it. They are frightened off easily and are usually defeated by just decent disc lock.

Thieves are professionals and target high-demand bikes they can sell fast, either complete or as parts. Mostly sporty bikes and 125s. They will take your bike back to their workshop, do their stuff and sell it on, possibly overseas.

3 blokes in a van come along, lift your bike, dump it in teh back and drive off. Takes about 11 seconds all in.

Many have a wealth of tools and the top guys use things like plasma cutters (chained bike to a lamp post? No problem!).

The van is insulated against alarm noise and some even block tracker signals. If a Pro wants your bike, they will get it. Best you can do is make it too much work for them to bother. Everyone likes easy targets, so send them after an easier one than yours.

Use a combination of security:

Alarm - Let's *YOU* know if someone is fecking with your bike, because honestly no-one else will heed the sound. Dash out the house, weapon in hand and have at them.... bloody neighbourhood cats! Cheapish and many are DIY fit.

Immobiliser - Stops someone hot-wiring the bike. Pro-thieves know how to remove them back at their workshop. Some are prone to failure, which stops you using the bike as well. A few have failed mid-corner, with disastrous results (seen it once, myself). Waste of time and money, IMO, but sometimes reduces your insurance.

Combined Immob & Alarm - Stops your bike at an inconveninet moment, then embarrasses you in public by wailing about it! :D

Disc Lock - Stops someone wheeling the bike away. Good against Scrotes. Don't rely on it alone, though.

Steering Lock - Stops someone turning the bars. Easily broken with a sharp twist.

Chain - A primary security device. Used effectively, works very nicely. Get the best you can afford - Plenty of stats on which ones stand up against bolt croppers and so on.

Put the chain through a part of the bike that is not easily removed (ie, not the wheel) and chain it to something immovable like a big block of concrete or a building, not a short fence post or a plastic drain pipe. Keep the chain up off the floor as much as possible, so they can't brace bolt cutters against the ground.

Ground Anchor - Useful in some circumstances, but also puts the chain close to the ground.

Bike cover - Out of sight. Thieves do sometimes not even waste time looking, if they don't know what's under there and just move on.

Garage - Out of sight. Also allows for secured doors, PIR sensors, additional alarms, etc etc. Very cool and may also reduce your insurance.

Tracking - Not a deterrant and relies on GPS type technology. Wildly variable results.

Marking - Datatag and several other brands. Deterrant only. Marked parts are harder to flog, but that's what eBay is for. I'm informed that few Police forces have the electronic scanners and even fewer have ever used them. It's not worth their time.

Insurance - Third Party, Fire and THEFT. Do not fret too much over all this security because, at the end of the day, this is what you pay insurance for. If you're limited on what security you can get, then at the very least make sure your bike is insured!

I appreciate people who appreciate our long, rambling replies. They do take time to write, but too many folks bugger off and are never seen again... We ought to charge for such services, like real mechanics!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online