1991 Yamaha SR 125 - Over revving before changing gear

webzie1255
This post is 4433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey there my SR is now fully rebuilt, passed the MOT with out a single fault but ive noticed now the bike over revvs way to high, for e.g as soon as I pull away it revs so loud it has to go into 2nd, it overs revvs at bout 22 and wants to go into 3rd.....over revvs at bout 33 and wans 4th gear etc etc, in 5th gear I can hit bout 50 before its screaming......I was wondering if anyone can help me out here, its never done this before its always changed gears smooth no over revving, I used to be able to do 60 in 5th without it screaming.

Edit just took it down the bypass, same result bike wants to be in 5th gear at like 40 and then when it reaches 50 its screaming as if it wants a 6th gear lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a carb, choke or throttle cable problem. Check the cable isnt pinching and is routed correctly and that the carb is operating correctly. Check the choke is also working correctly..

And did you fit a new C/S set when you rebuilt the bike?

, im new to bikes so I dont know a great deal

thought you intimated you'd rebuilt the bike!

if someone else had fully rebuilt it, then surely they could fix it?

my money is on sticking throttle or the carb needs cleaning as the bike is running weak and you have a partial blockage. the symptoms are that revs rise when the engine is warm.

do you also have problems starting it at all? check the carburettor inlet rubber isnt burst had to fix mine today as it has deteriorated and the over reving is a fault caused by this

Is anybody actually reading the original post, he is 10% lower speed wise when the bike is at max revs in any particular gear. He also changed the c+s in the 'rebuild'.

Untill proven otherwise i say its the c+s fact.

Is anybody actually reading the original post, .....

not really. we like airing our opinions :biglaugha:

thought you intimated you'd rebuilt the bike!

with my father yes, as I said I am new to bikes so my father helped me rebuild the bike after the accident I had, showing me & guiding me with everything he can, between us we managed to get it MOT ready and it passed, kind of a first project, all gotta start some where.

But when it came down to this my father wasent 100% sure what was causing this issue thats why I posted here for advice.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. going to try all thats been sudjested to me and post my results.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody actually reading the original post, he is 10% lower speed wise when the bike is at max revs in any particular gear. He also changed the c+s in the 'rebuild'.

Untill proven otherwise i say its the c+s fact.

Problem solved, C&S set as you said, thanks for everyones advice :)

Glad you all fixed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online