Problems starting xv125 Virago

Chris_Lowe
This post is 4454 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys ive got a 2000 Virgao XV125, all good with it until the other day. Had a ride from Benfleet to Stambridge via Southend (about 25 miles), all was well until I stopped the bike briefly (literally 2 minutes) and when I tried starting it again there was just a electrical cyclical sound coming from what I think it the starter motor! Had to bump start it to get it home. topped up battery with distilled water, cleaned connections to battery and went to charge it but charger read that battery was full but surely it couldnt be? Being a newb to anything bike related I really dont know the next step without taking it a garage which I dont want to do (and currently cant do as the bloody thing wont start!! Should I get a new battery or is it going to be another issue

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Reakon its probably your batter. can you get a meter and measure what voltage is coming from the battery. how old is the battery?

im going to borrow a meter from work today and see what reading I get. I assume 12v is what im aiming for, anything less than that would mean its a dead battery? The battery is 2 years old to the day, i got the bike in september but it has been in a cold garage, untouched for a few months as I havent had time to go out on it. Im guessing that a long period of time in a cold garage has probably not helped the situation. Ive heard someone say it could be the Regulator/Rectifier? Ill use the meter today and post what reading I get from it!

Thanks

If you think about it, its not going to be the battery, your getting power to the starter motor which is one of the biggest power drainers on the vehicle as its gotta turn every thing around to start the engine, and you say you plugged it into a charger which said its fine? so that would tell me that the battery is A OK.

Take your spark plugs out with the HT leads still attached, place the electrodes one at a time onto the fins of the barrels to earth them and press your starter button, you should get a spark, do this on both plugs, if no spark then buy new plugs and do the same again. If still no spark then you will need new coils,

Also when before you take the plugs out try to start it then take plugs out to check if they are wet with fuel, if there is no fuel on the plugs then there is a fuel problem. Either fuel pub shagged, clogged hose or just no petrol in the tank lol.

Try this then report back ;)

cool cheers ill try it when i get home. so it wouldnt be that the battery is dying and only has enough voltage to try and turn the starter motor but not fully start it? ive checked the spark plugs and they seem fine but ill try what you said. when you said about grounding the plugs to the fins do you mean the fins of the engine yea? sorry if this is a painful procedure but this is the first time ive done anything bike related

Cheers

Yer the fins on the engine (barrels) they need to be earthed as they are electrical. Na if the starter motor is turning with out any problems and sounds good and strong and your charger says that the battery is fine then you can rule that out as a problem, just pop it on charge once a month and your be fine.

Def sounds like a week or no spark or fuel problem. Try this first and we can go from there mate ;)

"Had to bump start it to get it home"

that itself says the spark plugs are ok, you say its not turning the engine over, do you hear a clicking sound? first check the battery, make sure its charging, if its ok its probably the starter relay, if the battery is ok but not charging its the rectifier

mods, this could do with moving to the workshop

If you're hearing an electrical sound but it's not turning over then it's likely the battery is flat.

If it cut out while riding, it's like the reg/rec isn't charging the battery. Additionally, batteries don't like the cold, and will die quickly if not left on a maintained charger through unused periods in winter,.

ok thanks im gonna put the battery back in tomorrow and do all the things everyone has mentioned! the battery has been in my house for about a day now so is alot warmer so we'll see if that helps. if its a reg/rec or starter relay problem is this sort of thing i can repair myself?

The starter motor could of had its day, it can get hot with the engine and they deteriorate. If its getting its power but giving out a whir, then its coils (or magnets if it has them as its design) have become weak or uninsulated.

Hi Chris

One more thing that might be worth investigating!

Starter clutch might not be kicking in

Not familiar with your bike, but it’s fairly easy to check

(normally just a cover on the side of the engine)

A healthy 12volt bike battery should be between 12.5 < 13.5 volts

(under 12.5 & the bike will struggle to start!)

Tony...