Clutch and Oils, misinformation?

Morpheuz
This post is 4469 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Been reading up on clutches and oils, forum after forum people are cursing at doodz for using synthetic oil.

I hear screams of slippage and ruined clutches.

I have used synthetic/ester based oil now in all the bikes Ive had, all wet clutch and have no problem with synthetic based oil at all.

Both road and dirt bikes are absoulutly fine with them.

People are under the misconception that its the quality of the oil that creates slippage, they claim, that due to its greater protection qualities, synthetic is too slick for a firm clutch operation..

I do not believe they are right, anyone who has done an ounce of reading on this should have come accross the additive side of oils.

Car oils and motorcycle oils ARE different, car oils contain friction modifiers, like molybdenum, while motorcycle oils are void of them,

reason being they are the source of the slippage, motorcycles are boosted with more phosphourous and zinc, to prevent wear in order to make up for the lack of slippy additives.

Some peoples conclusions is that its the quality of oil that makes it slip, and tend to choose shit oil in order to "save their clutch"

I think this is counter productive, any ester/synthetic blend of oil, designed for motorcycles will not have a great dose of friction modifiers if any at all. All VOAs Ive seen of motorbike oils show no moly.

So one would assume, that synthetic oils are fine, aslong as they are bike oils?

I've seen old harley models reccomended ester based oils, which are supposed to be better than synthetic labeled oils, if it were anything to do with the quality of oil, then they wouldn't make synthetic or ester based motorbike oils surely?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Harley's are different though,,,,,, sur there like a big aul tractor :o

If you put oil into your gearbox that doesn't have the letters JASO wrote on the container,,,,,,,, then your clutch will slip.

You are right,,,its nothing to do with the quality of the oil and everything to do with friction additive's

Hi all,

Been reading up on clutches and oils, forum after forum people are cursing at doodz for using synthetic oil.

I hear screams of slippage and ruined clutches.

I have used synthetic/ester based oil now in all the bikes Ive had, all wet clutch and have no problem with synthetic based oil at all.

Both road and dirt bikes are absoulutly fine with them.

People are under the misconception that its the quality of the oil that creates slippage, they claim, that due to its greater protection qualities, synthetic is too slick for a firm clutch operation..

I do not believe they are right, anyone who has done an ounce of reading on this should have come accross the additive side of oils.

Car oils and motorcycle oils ARE different, car oils contain friction modifiers, like molybdenum, while motorcycle oils are void of them,

reason being they are the source of the slippage, motorcycles are boosted with more phosphourous and zinc, to prevent wear in order to make up for the lack of slippy additives.

Some peoples conclusions is that its the quality of oil that makes it slip, and tend to choose shit oil in order to "save their clutch"

I think this is counter productive, any ester/synthetic blend of oil, designed for motorcycles will not have a great dose of friction modifiers if any at all. All VOAs Ive seen of motorbike oils show no moly.

So one would assume, that synthetic oils are fine, aslong as they are bike oils?

I've seen old harley models reccomended ester based oils, which are supposed to be better than synthetic labeled oils, if it were anything to do with the quality of oil, then they wouldn't make synthetic or ester based motorbike oils surely?

Totally agree, owned a GSX600F, had it tuned at TTS so she was knocking 90BHP (good for the time and a bloody site better than the stock 75) and for the entire time i owned it (36000mls) it had Rock Synthesis4 fully synthetic engine oils for its innards. Changed every 4500mls with the filter.

In those mils i only bought 2 shims for the valve gear, she has over 45k now with her current owner and STILL on the same clutch.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online