Valve Clearences

Morpheuz
This post is 4425 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I like to do my own maintainence, I have a dragstar 125, and its 2004. Its engine runs nice and smooth, but there is a slight ticking, nothing major, also there is like a very slight whiring sound, I'm just putting that down to the engines normal noise, seeiing as though this bike is more technical than my other chinese bike, I dare not open it up unless I really have to.

Has anyone ever been into the dragstars OHV? does it need checking often?

Cheerz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would guess the bike to be OHC and not OHV .. on saying that the smaller engines do require cam chain & valve adjustment in a shorter time span .. buy a service manual

Check and adjust (if reqd) every 6,000 kms

Intake 0.08 - 0.12mm

Exhaust 0.10 - 0.14mm

Use the search function and locate both the owners manual and the workshop manual. If you cant find em, let me know and I'll mail em to you

Ive got the manual, all it does is tell you to take it to a yamaha dealer all the time, I'll have a look for it if not I'll let you know, cheers fellas.

so owners manual not service manual ? buying a service manual will help you out loads. a word of caution obtaining copyright content from a party (other than from the copyright holder) may break some laws

• 2 weeks later...

I have just the owners manual, the 125 is an OHV, no cam just some valves with pushrods, I have downloaded the Service one from the internet, I recon the tappets are fine, I may take it in for a tappet adjustment, as Everything I've tried to do on my own so far has resulted in me finding a deteriorated part or stuck bolts.

Air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, yes it has cams and chains

So where the hell is the chain that goes to the top then?

I'd love to know how they got a chain to go up the side of a v-twin to reach both rocker covers.

I don't get it :shrug:

• 1 month later...

Right, now its getting hotter I've had her out and she is definately tappy upstairs, I'm not worried about the chains, as it sounds as if its the clearences between the lobes and the valves, I dont see any adjustment for the valves though?

Hi,

I like to do my own maintainence, I have a dragstar 125, and its 2004. Its engine runs nice and smooth, but there is a slight ticking, nothing major, also there is like a very slight whiring sound, I'm just putting that down to the engines normal noise, seeiing as though this bike is more technical than my other chinese bike, I dare not open it up unless I really have to.

Cheerz

Hi,

Cheerz

morphheuz....i too have a 2004 dragstar as is well documented upon this here site, i would just like to say any noise comming from the engine has got to be a good one...i have had mine for a number of months now and i still dont know what it sounds like...besides popping noises and front piston parrrrps................just as a matter of interest has anybody got a clue how much these things were to buy new in the day???was it in comparison to other 125's a top end of the market machine ??

Tapping as far as I know is bad in any OHC, I don't think these 125's are self adjusting, so I'm hoping there is some sort of gap I can adjust. Either that or my lobes are pitted.

Back in the day, I think they may have been a few grand brand new.

Noises are a great indicator, keep them all in check and run a good 10w-40 oil and the bike should be smooth, after that I run a certain detergant engine cleaner through my fuel, and it becomes quiet and smooth even more so. If its still making noises, and its not your bottom end adjustments, then there is probably damage somewhere, or something needs replacing.

I am not familiar with these OHC's so I'm just wondering what I can learn about them, in order to quieten them down, I don't trust mechanics, no matter how good they are, because when you ask for something done, they follow dealer specs, if it was blowing up, and the service book said not to check for another 1000km, they would leave it.... they all piss in the same bucket of shit.

Its so there is more chance if them getting to replace a part and charge a fortune.

Check and adjust (if reqd) every 6,000 kms

Intake 0.08 - 0.12mm

Exhaust 0.10 - 0.14mm

Use the search function and locate both the owners manual and the workshop manual. If you cant find em, let me know and I'll mail em to you

can anybody please explain ref these clearances ...these are the size of the gap..right?? what makes me scratch my head is why is there 2 settings ... or is it the actual tollerance if so for example the intake at 0.08mm-0.12mm to me thats 2 different settings...would it be correct to set it at 0.10mm which is bang inbetween ??????

can anybody please explain ref these clearances ...these are the size of the gap..right?? what makes me scratch my head is why is there 2 settings ... or is it the actual tollerance if so for example the intake at 0.08mm-0.12mm to me thats 2 different settings...would it be correct to set it at 0.10mm which is bang inbetween ??????

0.1mm = 4 thousands of an inch

differnce between 0.08mm an 0.12mm is 0.04mm, which is less than 2 thousands of an inch

If you can get a 0.10mm shim to pull out from between the adjusting screw and the valve stem with just a little drag then youve got it right, the same will do for both inlet and exhaust.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online