fz750 genesis

chelsea1
This post is 4553 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 750 genesis that is dead as a dodo, ive put a new battery on her and its lifeless , any help to get me started to find the problems would be appreciated

Check all the earths

Have you got a spark ?

So when ya hit the start button there is no sounds of any sort ?

I have a 750 genesis that is dead as a dodo, ive put a new battery on her and its lifeless , any help to get me started to find the problems would be appreciated

I've always said they should never have got rid of horses, once they go wrong all you've got to do is shoot it and get another one. Only joking to all you horse lovers. :sorry:

If you have no power to anywhere then it should only be something that stops more than one thing from working. A dodgy rectifier etc. wont do this as the lights will come on. Get a multimeter - or a bulb connected to 2 wires like an old indicator and test the electrical circuit from the battery. Always from the +ve of the battery to;

Battery to frame earth

Battery to main fuse, before fuse

battery to main fuse, after fuse

Battery to fuse box

Etc.

Make sure the ignition is on, although some of the tests do not need this. If you have no power to anything I would be surprised if it was as far from the battery to the fuse box as it will split past this so you would have power to something.

No worries :lol:

One fundamental question I didn't ask is; have you ever had it running or had the lights come on? If you haven't then the worry is someone has er........................ attempted to fix it already. If you have then this part should be pretty simple. Another check is that the battery earth is actually earthing. There are a few wiring diagrams around on Tinterweb.

You may have to zoom in to this one. http://i40.photobuck...02/DSCF0026.jpg

no their is nothing at all no sound lights on the dash nothing

as there is nothing no lights or anything checkout ignition ie any power to it ,loose wires,loose main fuse,earths dodgy wiring it doesnt matter that its not starting or turning over you should at least get something thats working if ignition is getting power to it at least the horn lights or something should work.

just one more thing your cut off switch it is on and working ?

have you put the red wire/terminal to the + and the black wire/terminal to the - on the battery.

also re-check the fuse, as i checked my fuse four times once, and it ended up being the bluddy fuse.

also , some battery's come unfilled, is yours full.

At least you are getting somewhere. It could be the relay.

I hope guess you have checked;

The engine run button was set to on.

The clutch was pulled in (not sure if it applies to this model but some bikes need the clutch in and in neutral to start them)

You should, with the ignition off, undo the starter motor +ve connector, Put a tester to this and earth, turn on the ignition and push the starter. If you get a voltage reading then it could be the starter or starter isn't earthed. If you get nothing then it is further up the chain between the starter and the battery, check the smaller fuses also as there could be one for the starter as well as the main fuse.

You could also run a thick wire from the battery +ve to the starter +ve terminal to see if it spins.Wires can get hot, melt and burn. I would do this with a jump lead.

Only do these tests if you are confident you know what you are doing. and touching anthing from the +ve side to the frame or earth is NOT a good idea.