UK moped law

drewpy
This post is 4569 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

when did the requirement to put pedals on 49cc come into effect in the uk, ie a moped?

Googled and got naff all!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

tried Paul, they only say a moped has pedals pre 1977! nothing pre moped!

I thought '73 ish too

come to think of it were talking bollocks, mopeds were always fitted with pedals more of a necessity at first, its just that when the more powerful 'sports' mopeds were built they had to continue with the trend, it would be a better question to ask when were they not fitted?

isnt your brothers moby a moped? pre 73

found it

Up to 14th December 1971, a 16 year old could ride a motor cycle on L-plates up to 250cc solo, or unlimited capacity with a sidecar

come to think of it were talking bollocks, mopeds were always fitted with pedals more of a necessity at first, its just that when the more powerful 'sports' mopeds were built they had to continue with the trend, it would be a better question to ask when were they not fitted?

isnt your brothers moby a moped? pre 73

the gov, now class any 49cc bike as a Moped, bit like your tappets :tounge:

Fs1-e started as F5B

Y_F5_0007.jpg

from wikipedia

The term moped describes any low-powered motor driven cycle with an engine capacity not greater than 50 cc (3.1 cu in) and a maximum design speed of no more than 50 km/h (31 mph). Machines registered prior to 1 September 1977 as mopeds had to have pedals,[20] but engine power was unrestricted, and many could top 50 mph (80 km/h) (most famously the Yamaha FS1-E or "Fizzy").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped

pedals were removed in 1977 like I said

er dont you mean 50cc

15th december 1971 all 16 year olds had to ride a moped, ie with pedals

saw that OT, wasn't very enlightening, anyway the law was 16th december 1971 16 yr ols had to have pedals to ride a 49cc motorbike. ie it became a moped

saw that OT, wasn't very enlightening, anyway the law was 16th december 1971 16 yr ols had to have pedals to ride a 49cc motorbike. ie it became a moped

Acksherly, the change in the law was that you had to be 17 to ride a bike up to 250cc, previously you could do this at 16. 16 year olds were now restricted to mopeds, defined as 50cc or less with pedals fitted capable of propelling the machine.

So if you turned 16 on 15th December you could be a ton-up boy on a Suzuki Super Six or Kawa A1 Samurai, but a day later you were stuck on a 'ped - now that sucks!

Acksherly, the change in the law was that you had to be 17 to ride a bike up to 250cc, previously you could do this at 16. 16 year olds were now restricted to mopeds, defined as 50cc or less with pedals fitted capable of propelling the machine.

So if you turned 16 on 15th December you could be a ton-up boy on a Suzuki Super Six or Kawa A1 Samurai, but a day later you were stuck on a 'ped - now that sucks!

correct pete that was all the change in the law was,16 year olds were no longer able to ride a motorbike regardless of cc they were only able to ride mopeds. thank god i was 16 in 1962 and missed all this namby pamby nonsense,helmetless till 1973 seems madness now

...and who remembers the sidewinder?

ride with L plates and a 250!

I do. Never seen one in the flesh though.

I thought all peds had to have pedals (MOtor PEDals), then they could lock them and then they didn't need them to still be a ped. Not sure of the year and I think '77 when the 250 law changed on L plates. Not really sure about that.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online