which 650 adventure /enduro bike?

Dean_DT
This post is 4557 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so im moving onwards and upwards from the Mighty DT125R!

Next up will be a 650 Adventure/Enduro type bike, but my budget isn't fantastic, im looking somewhere around £1200, i could probably stretch to £1500 if it was really worth it.

Bikes currently in my list:

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

Honda NX650 Dominator

BMW F650

Suzuki XF650 Freewind

Anyone have any experience of any of these bikes? Important things for me to consider are:

1. Reliability/ease of repair

2. Insurance Group

3. Cost of parts

4. Looks ( well no one wants to be ugly! haha)

The Suzuki is by far the prettiest bike, Then the BMW, Honda, and the Yamaha is the kid only a mother could love!

All are allegedly on a par reliability and power wise, although the bmw is 20kgs heavier and has the extra grunt to match.

Really dont know where to start!

Any input welcome :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The bikes listed are very different. The Tenere and F650 are bulky. Out of the list I would go for a Dommie, That said, what about a Aprilla Pegaso, Honda Vigor or a Honda SLR 650?I had a SLR last year, Good fun bike. Not a lot of "goodies" available but great to ride. I only sold it as my commute to work really needed something with a better top speed but I would buy another one. super moto style.

SLR.jpg

From your OP i would say that you haven't the faintest idea what next....

You have 1200quid for something useable as an all rounder, why not search your soul for what you actually want. Something that you thought "Fcuk me i like that" when you were out. Irrelevant of cc etc.

Then you can narrow things down a touch, as an example of what i'm trying badly to explain.

I have had yamaha's and loved them, also a couple of suzuki's which were very raw and easy to make fast and a honda, THE most boringly competant bike i have ever had, not yet repeated. Never had or wanted a Kwak TBH. I appreciate them as motorcycles before blackhat goes all braveheart on me but i have never wanted one.

Just because a bike looks ok it may not suit your personality or your riding style, eg I cannot get a big single to perform, never have. Friend of mine inherited his fathers XBR500 when his dad bought a Duc and he was lightning on it.

I'm losing things here....

Write out what you want the bike to do, then a list of bikes you really like cc HP irrelevant, then you will have proper options.

You guys are pretty spot on tbh, i dont really have any idea what to get next!

i really really like the look of a BMW F650 CS, but at my budget I'lll struggle to get a good one!

i defo need to get riding them and see what feels good, but im wanting to buy before i do my DAS to give a few weeks to get everything right and ready to rock.

im also a big believer of whatever i get ill learn to ride, anything is going to be miles apart from my DT!

the one thing that is not negotiable is reliability, as i will be taking the bike across europe thos time next year in aid of help fir heroes, so need something that will cover 500miles a day without a drama!

What about one of these quaks this is just an example after a 10second search on autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201139417796773/sort/pricedesc/usedbikes/cc-to/700cc/body-type/adventure/cc-from/125cc/price-to/2000/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/nn73pt?logcode=p

Little bit more money but is a das friendly 500cc (bulletproof too) with luggage, good mileage and the enduro look. A transalp in the same spec/cond would be 3-4K easy.

I had a KLE a while ago,

Detuned GPZ twin engine. Took me around Europe loads of times without one issue.

Very underrated.

Having had a SLR and now have a vigor , I can say if you get better exhaust for it or cut the end out of the ones on it and remove the baffles it works wonders, I have a set of NLA MIG cans on mine Dynojet kit and K&N filter it is a lot quicker than the standard Vigor

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a limit on what cc you can ride after doing the DAS? If not, have a look at the TDM850 - they come up quite cheap. Good reliable bike, and very comfy. If you go that way, try and get the 2nd Generation (made late 1996 onwards, preferably as late as possible, 1999-2001 ish), as there were improvements made from the first gen, particularly the firing angle of the motor. (Changed from 360° to 270°). If you can squeeze the budget far enough, you may even get an early 900. If not, try and replace the standard exhaust with a Lazer or Micron race system - the power difference is astounding!

No cc limit you can rode a R1 Haybaler if you want as long as it is restricted too 33bhp. If you are over 21 and passed the direct access you can ride what you want

Yep no CC limit for me, doing DAS and am 25 so can ride whatever i choose. the only thing stopping me from going out and buying something mental is me, i know im probably not ready for it!

so i wrote down what exactly i am after in my first big bike:

Reliable

Good handling / slightly forgiving

comfortable on longer rides and happy to cruise on Motorway at sensible speeds

good servicing/parts costs

cheap as possible insurance

looks good

From that list i have now come to a list of 6 possible candidates:

TDM 850

BMW F650 CS

Aprilia Pegaso

Suzuki SV650

Honda Dominator

KTM Duke 620

Ok so the KTM and the SV are veering away from the adventure/enduro type bikes, and the KTM is probably going to be ruled out on insurance costs, but the SV650 is i feel a very strong contender. It has a reputation for being a fantastic first "big" bike, is relatively light, handles well, and has a bit more power than the rest, only downside is i dont think it will be as comfy as the others, but i can have another seat made up so not going to discount it on that basis.

All of the above can be found well within my £1500 budget, and if i look into the realms of Stolen recovered/Cat C i can get a far newer bike for that money, although obviously i know the bike will need to be checked twice as thoroughly!

I'd definitely go with the TDM from that lot, for comfort and reliability. Also good for tall people!! I'm 6'4" and it was nice to find a bike that fitted!

I do like the TDM a lot, and in all honesty it is probably going to come down to either an SV 650, BMW F650 CS or the TDM 850.

Am waiting on my insurance company coming back to me with some prices, will see what they say!

I do like the TDM a lot, and in all honesty it is probably going to come down to either an SV 650, BMW F650 CS or the TDM 850.

Am waiting on my insurance company coming back to me with some prices, will see what they say!

You really couldn't have picked 3 more different from the bunch, BMW is, much as some may not like the view too bloody dear for what it is, SV is hardly enduro, doesent really strike the soul with far off lands..... And the TDM, nice to ride although i found the pegs high being another 6ft and counting, and they are an utter bastard to work on.

I still can't get past that kawasaki, twin so your not stuck flogging a dead horse trying to get some top end. Million miles to the gallon, parts everywhere as the GPZ500 ran for years.

As for putting the Duke into the mix, are you actually asking seriously or just taking the piss?

I dont Need an enduro bike, i just like them. But Im also a supermoto fan, and do genuinely like the Duke.

Im struggling with the KLE, i cant find any good reviews online, and thats not very reassuring considering im gonna pay more for one.

MPG on the kawasaki ( 37mpg) isnt really any different to the TDM (38mpg) or SV ( 40mpg), they are all twins, and the TDM and Sv are 125mph+ whereas the KLE is 105mph.

As for the BMW's, the F650 CS is belt drive, so low maintenance, and have heard nothing but good things about them tbh.

Think im going to hold out until i have passed my test and go and ride a few of each until i find what suits me. Plus it gives me a bit more time to top up the money, reckon i have £1650 spare at the mo, so could poss stretch that to 1900 ish.

That is a very good idea Dean DT,,,,,

There is such a difference in the bikes you have mentioned,,,,,, every bike has its own character only when you have tried them will you know if you

can adjust yourself to match the bike......Eg, changing from sports bike to a big trallie takes a bit of getting used to.

Find what bike suits you best

Good luck

well it would seem the insurance company have decided for me!

TDM will more than double my premiums, and the bmw isnt far off. the only 2bikes that are semi reasonable to insure are an sv650 or dominator. going to have to be an SV :)

not going to rush into buying one though, there are plenty around to choose from so can affod to take my time and get the best one i can find in my budget :)

I have an sv. the prettier early curvy. great bike brought mine for 1100 quid. '02 plate 2 owners 11000 miles. 60 mpg. very cheap bike but lots around.