Dt 175 Mx wont start

Geoclinton
This post is 4589 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what yer mean just got me missus on me back so she can have the car plus the weather is crying out for a bike ride. I am enjoying working on the bike I now a lot more now than ever before so I will keep tinkering away.

George, I'm from Brighton, and living along the road, I'm sure I can spare some time to help you out... PM me and i can arrange to come over.

Wicked

That would be great. I have stripped away the tank,seat and light lens so I can see all the wiring so its not so scary now but none the less I could do with a hand.

Cheers

George

Hi George,

ive been researching the potential fixes and they are many and varied... from loose wires, broken CDi's and dead Coils to a snapped Woodruff key!!! bet you didnt even know you had one ov those!!! anyway, i'm sure i can fix it, even if it is the Woodruff key problem as we have a Rotor puller here...

Bring it round and we'll have a good look at it for ya.

see ya s :spin2: :spin2: n.

Seana

X

nice to be on such a posh forum...

Hi again. There seem to be loads ov posts about no spark on DT175's... Quite a few result in people replacing a broken Woodruff Key on the Crankshaft which stops the Timing Plate from spinning round and putting the timing off... Stopping the spark plug from firing at the right time.

This would account for the "raggin it up and down the road" bit before it stopped working...

Ebay has a DT175 Rotor puller for £10.

As this problem seems to happen every now and again it'll be good to have the right tool for the job.

Get one and we'll get her up and running again.

Seana

Xxx

Thanks to Neo We have a spark. Turns out that the new ignition I bought has a faulty earth( apparently a common issue with new barrels ) plus the ignition that was on the bike ( a Paddle Switch ) wasn't cutting the mustard and shorting out too. So another big thanks too Neo for coming out to check out the bike for me .I will keep you posted how I do putting it all back together.

Cheers

Geo

it turned out to be the same problem I had on my replacement ignition switch

This post from

shows it in detail.....

Its just that I purchased a new ignition switch from yambits the other week, fitted it and the bike would NOT start, no matter what I tried. everytime i turned the key to ON it was being grounded, yet everything checked out fine until I turned the key... you can see the culprit arrowed, I simply moved the leg away from the solder and it all worked.

yamign.jpg

whats the chances of it happening twice???

glad to have been of service!

Well Chaps

Spent a few pleasurable hours putting her back together on a sunny sat and she started on the second kick much to my elation and relief.

Next mission rear light and brake light no sigh of the original wires any where nor a brake switch so any ideas?

Cheers

George

All back together running O K bit smokey just need to figure rear light action there is no trace of switch or original wiring but at least I am a little closer to the road :hyper:

Hello chaps

I have just ran the bike round the garden there is a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust but also smoke coming from the manifold near as dammit to the barrel When I put her in gear she lulls in power and stalls then under very high revs she pulls again.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

George

Yep thought as much turn the summer house back into a garage and start taking the bike apart again oh joy. When I was looking at the oil pump there was no movement on the wheel (where the cable slots in) is this normal?

Yep thought as much turn the summer house back into a garage and start taking the bike apart again oh joy. When I was looking at the oil pump there was no movement on the wheel (where the cable slots in) is this normal?

Thats the pulley, as you twist the throttle the pulley turns, it doesnt turn by the engine, you will see the piston and pulley pulsing back and forth when the engine runs, the more the throttle is opened (hence pulley turned) the bigger the pulses, you can test it by turning the pulley by hand briefly as the bike idles. Dont overdo it though because it will smoke heavily if prolonged.

OK that's summat to check. Do you think that I may as well take the barrel off and de-coke too? Or am I biting off more than I can chew?

I dont know how much you can chew George, myself...I would be taking it off and examining the piston / rings / bore but if you dont know much it may be difficult to check and make judgement...hw are your machanical skills, electrical skills etc, i get a feeling this is going to be quite a test for you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online