Hey everyone

CMOORE35
This post is 4606 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone my name is chris and i am brand new here in the yamaha owners club. I am 37 years young and just got my first bike. It's a 1979 Yamaha 400xs. I aquired this bike by trading a computer for it. It doesn't run and doesn't have a title so my first step is to search for the title and hopefully find it so i can prove ownership and start my project of restoring it. All i have right now that shows it's mine is a bill of sale. I plan on striping it down to the frame and rebuilding it to like new condition. That is my goal at least. My father once told me that if i ever got a bike i should get one like this so i can tear it down and rebuild it. This way i know my bikes every detail and how to fix it. Since this is my first project bike i would like to ask the community if i may ask for advise and help from time to time. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated since i am just a noobie at this. Thanks all.

CMOORE35

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

cmoore35, Hi I am Peter and I live in Portsmouth. I used to mess about with bikes but I need something that is releable so now leave it with a very good mechanic.

I wish you well with your project and I hope you learn a lot. Remember that things will go wrong and it will not be easy. During one of these moments don't throw or hit the bike just say ten times 'I will ride you baby'. You should smile, feel a lot better and it will renew your passion.

All the best, Peter

thanks everyone for the replies. If i can have patience with a wife and 5 kids i am sure that i will have plenty of patience with the project. The most frustrating part is finding and getting a title. Since this is a pre 80s bike it doesn't have a VIN number. And the only thing i have found out is that this bike was last registered back in 1989 in Nebraska. That is it. I am going down to the dmv tomorrow to see if they can run a title check on it to see if i can aquire it.

• 2 weeks later...

UDDATE!!!

I got the info back from the DMV and found the name and last known address of the last recorded title holder.

After a little searching I found a number to call and sure enough it was his mom's number. I called her and she gave me this guys number. After calling him i was able to find out that he was indeed the owner of that bike back in 89 and he sold it. Since it was never registered after him he is getting me a duplicate title and signing it over to me as long as i refund the money it takes to get the duplicate title. I should have it in another week. That part being over i am ready to roll up my sleeves, get greasy and dirty, and tear the bike apart to rebuild it. My goal is being able to ride it by the Spring 2012!! :hyper::yay::spin2::dance:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online