General advice/tips anyone?

125Viking
This post is 4665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, as I've mentioned in my intro I'm looking to grab me a 125 Dragstar soon as I have enough money for it, insurance and a helmet and the CBT. Just wandered if there is any advice people might give on this? I'll give a little explanation.

I've a good idea of the basics of how to ride a bike but I guess experience is always the way forward. I'm looking for anyone/everyone's two cents on how to go about getting my CBT, is my choice of bike appropriate, how easy it is to go through the tests etc (in terms of best time frame to do it in)

Been driving a car 4 years, no problems, quite comfortable. Kart racing since I was 9 and had a 50cc rev and go Italjet dirt bike when I was 7-9. Just to give background on what I've done sort off race/road wise :) I realise this may not help me at all with riding a bike or it may give me some idea as to how to act on the road. The racing certainly drilled into me to never drive beyond my limit ^^

I'm approx 6ft and 12.5st (80kg?) No real idea on weight. this is my guess from the last time I checked. This sound about right for a 125 Dragstar? Should I be looking to hit the CBT then grab one of those and drive a few years or should I try direct access? From what I gathered the dragstar should still hit 60-70 at a push. But I've seen a number of people have gone straight for DA and found it a workable option.

What I could really use is an analysis of how much harder the DA is than CBT and whether the bike is a good option for me, or is the money better spent on a bigger bike? :) Dont really wanna buy the bike pass the direct access soon after and be stuck with a slow machine until I save up another lump.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Luke

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,I just passed my cbt last weekend & just been out for my 1st ride after getting my bike taxed which was awesome.

Im going for the DA too but going to ride about for a few months and take it in the spring as being a car driver for over 15 years i feel very exposed!

I'm 6ft 2 and riding an xv125 which seems ok & is nice and heavy which im hoping will help with jumping on the 500 for the DA. :)

So, as I've mentioned in my intro I'm looking to grab me a 125 Dragstar soon as I have enough money for it, insurance and a helmet and the CBT. Just wandered if there is any advice people might give on this? I'll give a little explanation.

I've a good idea of the basics of how to ride a bike but I guess experience is always the way forward. I'm looking for anyone/everyone's two cents on how to go about getting my CBT, is my choice of bike appropriate, how easy it is to go through the tests etc (in terms of best time frame to do it in)

Been driving a car 4 years, no problems, quite comfortable. Kart racing since I was 9 and had a 50cc rev and go Italjet dirt bike when I was 7-9. Just to give background on what I've done sort off race/road wise :) I realise this may not help me at all with riding a bike or it may give me some idea as to how to act on the road. The racing certainly drilled into me to never drive beyond my limit ^^

I'm approx 6ft and 12.5st (80kg?) No real idea on weight. this is my guess from the last time I checked. This sound about right for a 125 Dragstar? Should I be looking to hit the CBT then grab one of those and drive a few years or should I try direct access? From what I gathered the dragstar should still hit 60-70 at a push. But I've seen a number of people have gone straight for DA and found it a workable option.

What I could really use is an analysis of how much harder the DA is than CBT and whether the bike is a good option for me, or is the money better spent on a bigger bike? :) Dont really wanna buy the bike pass the direct access soon after and be stuck with a slow machine until I save up another lump.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Luke

Quite a lot of difference Luke, The CBT is 'compulsory BASIC training', most pass this on the first or second attempt-but it is NOT a test ! they will assess you and then train you in a car park-around cones etc, then if you seem capable you are taken out on the road-miked up-its 1 day-if you 'complete' the training to a 'standard' you are given the certificate, that will give you 2 years on an L plate, as your a car driver you will already have 'road sense' :huh: , it will be 2 years growing extra eyes, ears, a 7th sense, advanced intuition, telepathy, an uncanny nack for 'radar-ing' old geezers driving Rovers/Micras, women drivers, chavs, young women drivers, tyre biting dogs etc etc-the list goes on.

DA-Direct access-all of the above, at todays credit crunch busting prices, and the goal you'd be looking to acheive in 2 years time anyway-but not on a cruiser type like an XV IMHO, they're low, slow, more difficult to handle (especially on slow maneouvres like the dreaded U-turn), go for the bigger, heavier 500-600 test bike-yes I thought bigger bikes were harder to handle too-how wrong was I :blink::)

By all means, buy yourself a nice Dragstar 125, genrally good build quality, reliable, spares available, easy to customise, easy to service, if thats the cruiser style of bike you want

Take the CBT on the schools bike, not yours.

Insist on a 125cc bike, not a scooter, for the CBT

CBT is nothing like Direct Access

Pass CBT, ride draggie lots for 6 to 9 months (at least) and build up your MOTORCYCLING riding skills, anticipation, perception etc.

In that time, if you have gained sufficient confidence in your own ability, put in for direct access, the training school will advise on the amount of training that you will require. Its unlikely that you will require none.

Jump in Leatherat

Thanks for the advice guys :) I think I understand what you mean ^^

Take both CBT and DA on the test bikes and save the cruisers for my own use. (Have heard the dragstar was tough for doing U turns in the test) Use the 125 Dragstar to build up my confidence enough for DA and then think big ^^

Sorta My original plan, but having looked around I've seen other people had done differently. Think I'll play it safe/sensible and go with what you guys have said :)

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Luke.

Thanks for the advice guys :) I think I understand what you mean ^^

Take both CBT and DA on the test bikes and save the cruisers for my own use. (Have heard the dragstar was tough for doing U turns in the test) Use the 125 Dragstar to build up my confidence enough for DA and then think big ^^

Sorta My original plan, but having looked around I've seen other people had done differently. Think I'll play it safe/sensible and go with what you guys have said :)

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Luke.

hi luke

i'd agree with whats been said already

ive just recently passed my cbt and got my own little bike sr125 and im just trying to get out as much as possible to build up my experience as ive been used to the car for over 14 years but wanted a bike since i was 17 but never had the money

and im going tha DA route as well but having a lesson once a week so i can still practice with my own bike i want a bike big soon too but by the time ive got the money to buy one im hoping al have had enough lessons and passed the test then be able to get my first big bike :) my projection for this is around march next year.

cheers

Dave

Aye unfortunately the only downside here is the fact I need a big chunk of money before I can think about taking CBT and buying the bike. Wanna do it at a similar time to get the most out of my 2 years - if it is needed.

But! I'm about half way there so Im thinking probably before Xmas if I work hard or if not March time too :)

Plus side is once I get that out the way, I can practice everyday round my area. its really quiet and flat save a a few speed bumps :P and a long dual carriage way along the front, 2 mins away, which is handy ^^

Glad I'm not the only one whose jumping out a car for it though. Shows it's doable :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online