1978 DT125 (US model)

74Dusted
This post is 4645 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Here's my '78 DT125 that I'm fixing up to run as a Fuel-Saver / "Around Town" bike :D

SANY0127.jpg

Nothing special about it at the moment, converted to 12 Volts, replaced some oil seals, fixed some damage that a friend (now ex-friend) did when he took my bike out for a spin through the forest and dumped it on it's side. He busted off the Tail Light/Brake Light & Right Rear Turn Signal, dented the right side of the fuel tank too.

So I resprayed the bike in Electric Blue, with a little bit of the original green to give it some Contrast. (I think it looks halfway decent/presentable). Still have to remove the Front Fender, fix a crack in it (Plastic Welder), smooth it up and paint it in Electric Blue too. And replace the Boots/Dust Covers on the Front Shocks/Forks. Mostly it's just finish work now, bolting parts back on the bike and fixing the last few things on my list.

Here's what I'm currently driving... A '74 Plymouth Duster (it's my baby/toy, hence my screen name)

SANY0103.jpg

SANY0109.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here's my '78 DT125 that I'm fixing up to run as a Fuel-Saver / "Around Town" bike :D

SANY0127.jpg

Nothing special about it at the moment, converted to 12 Volts, replaced some oil seals, fixed some damage that a friend (now ex-friend) did when he took my bike out for a spin through the forest and dumped it on it's side. He busted off the Tail Light/Brake Light & Right Rear Turn Signal, dented the right side of the fuel tank too.

So I resprayed the bike in Electric Blue, with a little bit of the original green to give it some Contrast. (I think it looks halfway decent/presentable). Still have to remove the Front Fender, fix a crack in it (Plastic Welder), smooth it up and paint it in Electric Blue too. And replace the Boots/Dust Covers on the Front Shocks/Forks. Mostly it's just finish work now, bolting parts back on the bike and fixing the last few things on my list.

Here's what I'm currently driving... A '74 Plymouth Duster (it's my baby/toy, hence my screen name)

SANY0103.jpg

SANY0109.jpg

You got yourself a right bargain with the bike, and you say you did a service on a blokes car for it? and as for the car, looks a cracker does that, must say, that when I first saw Vanishing Point, I fell in love with the Challenger, don't suppose you have a Mach 1 Mustang in that workshop, somewhere under a tarp do you? always fancied one of those ;)btw try Yuniparts on ebay, I'm sure they do replacement seat covers for your model DT.

You got yourself a right bargain with the bike, and you say you did a service on a blokes car for it? and as for the car, looks a cracker does that, must say, that when I first saw Vanishing Point, I fell in love with the Challenger, don't suppose you have a Mach 1 Mustang in that workshop, somewhere under a tarp do you? always fancied one of those ;)btw try Yuniparts on ebay, I'm sure they do replacement seat covers for your model DT.

Yep, I fixed a car in trade for the bike. It was about $40 worth of labor & parts (isn't that about 15 euros?). A grand total of $150 by the time i had transferred the Title to my name, Registered the Bike and paid the Notary Fees & Taxes.

I am very impressed that you linked the Challenger to the Duster, especially since it is an American Car. Not too many people that i've spoken with from other countries have heard of Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler (Mopar). I'd love to have a '70 340 Pistol Grip 4-Speed Challenger like the one from Vanishing Point (the original, in the remake they say it has a 426 Hemi. For now I have 7 A-Body Cars (A-body is the name given to the Duster/Demon/Dart body style.. Challengers/Cudas are E-Bodies). Challengers/Cudas are far from cheap though (no matter what side of the pond you live on), which is why i went with the A-Body, they're the poor man's muscle car (affordable to buy/modify).

I'll upload some more pics of the DT125 this weekend, i just finished Re-Lining the Brake Shoes. Yep, I replaced the lining material on the brake shoes instead of buying new shoes. It's actually quite common on old (usually antique) vehicles. At least that's what my dad and grandfather told me, on the older vehicles you bought lining for the original shoes instead of replacing the shoes. These days it's just used when restoring antique vehicles, or for rare/unusual/out of stock brakes.

I'm also going to tear the Carb off again and recheck the float level, something is a little off there, the overflow tube dribbles a little gas(petrol) from time to time. It's nothing substantial (never leaves a puddle), but it bothers me, lol

My cusin used to have a 340 Elcameno. (bad spelling)

It was riged for nitro and it worked but he never used it,,,, aparently it warps the head and quickly kills the engine.

Even so though,,,,,,,it was some yoke to go. Could hardly steer the thing when ya give it loads of gas cause the front wheels were barly toutching the ground.

He sold it later and then got a Mustang to fix up,,,,never got arround to fixing it,,,,,,,,,,kids came along,,,,,,,,so he sold that the way it was.

He now has some sort of a pick-up truck with a V8,,,,,,,,, the sound of the thing comming down the street is something just lovely.

B)

Best of luck with your restore of the DT. She will do you proud.

Are helmets required in your state ?

My cusin used to have a 340 Elcameno. (bad spelling)

It was riged for nitro and it worked but he never used it,,,, aparently it warps the head and quickly kills the engine.

Even so though,,,,,,,it was some yoke to go. Could hardly steer the thing when ya give it loads of gas cause the front wheels were barly toutching the ground.

He sold it later and then got a Mustang to fix up,,,,never got arround to fixing it,,,,,,,,,,kids came along,,,,,,,,so he sold that the way it was.

He now has some sort of a pick-up truck with a V8,,,,,,,,, the sound of the thing comming down the street is something just lovely.

B)

Best of luck with your restore of the DT. She will do you proud.

Are helmets required in your state ?

Do you mean a 350 Elcamino? Easy mistake since they're pretty close in size, i hear people do that all the time even around here ;) The 340 is a Chrysler Engine (actually what i'm running in my '74 Duster and a few other vehicles). It's a nasty little small block in sheeps clothing. I know exactly what you mean about the front end, my duster will pull the front wheels up easily. It's pushing a weak 610 horsepower at the moment, aiming for 1,000hp with the help of a Supercharger/Blower & a 150 Shot of Nitrous.

I have a little pickup truck with a V8 dropped in it too (most regular size Pickups have V8's from the factory). Actually, the original engine in my Dodge D50 Pickup is something you guys over there should recognize. It's the 2.5L Turbo Diesel, the same one found in the Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun :D (i hear they're very popular over there). The Diesel is at the Machine Shop getting bored out and a Sleeve/Liner replaced. So i stuffed a 340 under the hood to run until i rebuild the diesel.

Actually, here it is :blink: Keep in mind, that pickup truck is from the same family as the Pajero/Shogun/Montero/and other similar Mitsubishis. It just looks much bigger because of the tires.

S5000178.jpg

S5000163.jpg

And for good measure, here's one of my many 340's (my favorite engine), this one is in my '74 Duster.

S5000452-1.jpg

Helmets are no longer a requirement by law here in Pennsylvania. But I'm still going to wear one :D I can't believe some people would want to ride without a helmet (it's the only thing between your brain and the road!), but i see it everyday :blink:

Sorry about all the car pictures, since it is a motorcycle forum, hope it's ok.

It's about $3.69 a gallon here (for the cheap stuff, Premium/High Octane is a different story), isn't that like 1.50 euros? I feel so bad for you guys over there, i thought fuel prices were out of hand here, it's worse for you :blink:

I loved my little Diesel pickup, but the engine needed rebuilt after it broke the rings on the #2 Piston (Silent Shaft/Balancing Shaft locked up and starved the engine for oil) The critter was rare here in the states though (only available from 1983 to 1985), so i had to buy 90% of my parts from over in the UK where it was more common.

Sadly, Diesels aren't as popular here in the states. Mostly people who want to tow/haul absurd amounts of weight, otherwise most of the people over here just run gasoline engines.

• 1 month later...

It's about $3.69 a gallon here (for the cheap stuff, Premium/High Octane is a different story), isn't that like 1.50 euros? I feel so bad for you guys over there, i thought fuel prices were out of hand here, it's worse for you :blink:

I loved my little Diesel pickup, but the engine needed rebuilt after it broke the rings on the #2 Piston (Silent Shaft/Balancing Shaft locked up and starved the engine for oil) The critter was rare here in the states though (only available from 1983 to 1985), so i had to buy 90% of my parts from over in the UK where it was more common.

Sadly, Diesels aren't as popular here in the states. Mostly people who want to tow/haul absurd amounts of weight, otherwise most of the people over here just run gasoline engines.

About £2.50 a gallon! Prices here at the moment are £1.37 a litre! So yeah just over £6.15 a gallon for us, which is $10.10 a gallon! Might be cheaper if we all pitch in a build a pipeline to Dusted's house and he can buy it there and pump it to us!

About £2.50 a gallon! Prices here at the moment are £1.37 a litre! So yeah just over £6.15 a gallon for us, which is $10.10 a gallon! Might be cheaper if we all pitch in a build a pipeline to Dusted's house and he can buy it there and pump it to us!

Only consolation is we get more bangs to our gallon than they do in the USA, bout the only thing that is bigger here :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online