My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3580 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a word of caution

Pin holes are the visible sign of rot, if youre getting pinholes, its likely that the surrounding area is reduced is structural strength too, but you cant see it yet.

Is it possible to "plate over" over the area, or slice the frame, and sleeve it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for the advise mate, the area I welded was the holes I put in to fit my old mud guard and is still sold with no rot. The pin holes are from me filling the holes with weld and really I should have done what you said and plated them but guess you learn by mistakes. Just been out there again for an hour and now there is no pin holes and all looks hunky dory it was just a matter of getting the wire feed speed correct.

Out there again tomorrow and hoping to get the chain welded and the rear mud guard nearly complete.

Bit more done today and I'm quite happy with it. When welding the links of the chain I became even more impressed with Indian Larries bike that he made with the entire frame made out of chain.

Here are some pics

DSC_0240_zps34765fdf.jpg

DSC_0241_zpsf6063561.jpg

Found a use for the toaster ha ha

DSC_0242_zps9bd47dd5.jpg

DSC_0243_zps3ffb208e.jpg

Mud guard fitted

DSC_0245_zpsf7daa0cb.jpg

DSC_0246_zps346cc181.jpg

Chain sissy bar

DSC_0247_zpse82f1870.jpg

DSC_0248_zpsee44bab6.jpg

DSC_0249_zps808fca7d.jpg

Still got plenty more to use ha ha, just need to find a use for it.

Just need to beef up the welds on the chain as I've only tacked them in place at the mo.

wasted a perfectly good toaster :shakeno:

It had it coming to it, sat there like a bad smell and it knew it was a bad purchase so Mr angle grinder had to come out and play ha ha

Looking good,but your no Indian Larry,,,,yet... I like how he keeps his bikes simple,,,,but Rolans Sands bikes well just got to love em rolling art.

Yer ill never be as good as Larry he was a God in the world of One off bikes! Roland again what you said they are works of art.

Simple bikes are the best, all the extras you can get like screens are high way pegs just clutter up the bike and ruin the lines

Hey your young and doing it now,,so who knows some day your bikes might make history too. It's alot harder now as so many guys are building,well sort of most have walets deeper than the gov and pay for machineing and custom CNC milled parts. Your going old school .... have this and it's cheap so I'll use it...... thats cool. IMO

• Like 1

Been out in the man cave a few nights this week and so fair ive mounted the fuel tank, fucked up the chain sissy bar so need to buy more chain and start again and painted two engine cases. quite happy with the way they came out as they look perfectly imperfect. (pics to follow when i get home from work)

So just need to seal the tank and paint it, then i can get the frame and swing are powder coated alond with the rims and hubs along with new spokes just dont know if i should get stainless spokes or gloss black spokes.

All is running smoothly so far.

Here we go

DSC_0255_zps7b089b8e.jpg

DSC_0256_zpsb618bcee.jpg

DSC_0257_zpsad129c69.jpg

DSC_0258_zpse0d8dd6e.jpg

DSC_0259_zps16b6f660.jpg

DSC_0260_zpsc9477926.jpg

Well it's red oxide and for some reason looks orange on the photos but it's still red ha ha

Well went back into the man cave last night with the intension to just do a little bit to the bike and i think i acheived that. All the engine cases are finished and now bolted to the motor so she can now hold oil, :) ive only got to prep and paint the 4 rocker covers on the heads and thats the engine FINISHED!!!! Only taken me 5 months :eusa_dance:

Things left to do are;

1. Finish frame ready for powder coat
  2. Fit a metal rear mud guard as that plastic one is crap
  3. Fit chain sissy bar
  4. Kreem the fuel tank and paint it
  5. Powder coat rims and hubs
  6. Re-spoke wheels
  7. Wire up handle bars
  8. New brake pads and disc
  9. Fit indicators
  10. Tax and MOT (i think)

Here are some pics of the engine now the orange bits are actually red its just the flash turned its orange for some reason.

DSC_0268_zpsdc748714.jpg

DSC_0269_zps4b6c2ed6.jpg

DSC_0273_zps2cefd355.jpg

DSC_0274_zps3d34a309.jpg

Thats it.

End of all things to end.

End of an end.

Painted the last few covers on the engine and stuck on the inlet pipes and stood back to view my work, thing was tho i still had 45mins alotted time in the man cave and i had nothing else to do at that point so i just sat there looking at it.

DSC_0275_zps76d756b1.jpg

DSC_0276_zps1628b186.jpg

DSC_0278_zps0f9e6902.jpg

DSC_0279_zps73960a3d.jpg

• Like 2

still not answered my question! are the red/orangie bits deliberate ?

or did you run out of black paint hehehe

actually look good on pics :jossun:

Yer the red/orange is deliberate, stupid as it sounds i got the idea from the wifes hair dye :eusa_whistle: black hair with red high lights and thought it could look good on the engine which im pleased to say it has (well i think so any way ha ha)

Hopefully find out today if she fires up :hyper:

Well here it is, the moment of truth.

Went out into the shed yesterday and finished putting every thing on the motor and got ready to join the wires. there are no gaskets in the exhaust as i didn't want to crush them so she sounds a bit dodgy on the video, and the vibrations knocked my phone off the tool box ha ha.

Onto the next job/s