Buying my first bike

Bido
This post is 4683 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello, recently i purchased a 1999 Yamaha SR 125 off ebay for £450. and i need some advice as things seam to be dodgey, it was supposed to come on saturday however the owner couldn't find the V5 and so it has been delayed, i later found out (after he rang the DVLA) that no V5 had ever been issued and so this was the first one and therefore free, i have asked for the MOT certificates as i want proof that it is MOT'D. also when i tried to get a quote for the insurance using the registration plate the insurance company and comparison website stated that the registration plate and bike didnt exist, i tried doing a text check on the registration and again nothing, however upon going onto the DVLA website and putting in the registration the bike did pop up, same year and date of first registration and everything, i also checked the AskMID.com website to see if it was insured and it is. The owner did ask if i wanted to pay through paypal as it is more secure than cash but i already withdrew the money. also there is a new engine fitted to the bike from a previous owner so should the engine number match the v5? any help with this? im only 17 and thats a fair bit of my money im paying towards something that could be a lot of hassle. thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This is kinda weird cos if it is on the askmid how can they say they cannot find the reg number ,as for a V5 never being issued, bull shit , it would have to be issued to get the reg number

yes the engine number should match the engine number on the V5 as should the frame number, all yamahas come from the factory with engine numbers and frame numbers identical so if they differ you know the engine has been changed,

The engine has been changed the owner said so, so what should i do its a bit for and against, ill check the v5 against the frame numer and ill check the mot certificates, is thermuch more i can do? thanks for the help mate

Run away.......fast, there are SO many sr 125's out there, or any other bike leave the 'bargins' alone.

Chap next door to me has spent hundreds fixing up an ebay bargain, he may as well have bought a good one and spent more.

Have you looked at 100cc bikes, the performance is almost identicle but insurance can be quite a bit less.

Run away. If he said it had a v5 on the ad and he hasn't got it then get your cash back.

stay away from this! its way too fishy! if you were going to sell a bike you would have everything to hand and would be able to provide any documentation wanted! if not then your trying to hide something!

i bought a stolen van once (unknown to me at the time :rolleyes: ) honest,, officer.

it had no docs and i told plod the gypsy's that sold it to me said they would inform dvlc,too who they have sold the van to and all the doc's would be posted to me.

and i was awaiting said docs. :angry:the van got crushed and i got fined..

If he comes and all the docs match the bike I.e. the frame number matches and the MOT certificates are genuine and he has valid ID that matches the v5 what then?

What then???

There are presently 6 SR125's on MCN used bikes for sale

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/Yamaha/SR125/_/N-148+2363+191

All of them are for sale by dealers, all of them are around the same vintage and none of them are anywhere close to £450. Yes they're from dealers, and of course you'll pay more from a bike shop than a private sale but the disparity in price would ring alarm bells for me. What are the tyres like, does it need a new chain and sprocket set? These items alone will set you back another £200 at least. Buying from a dealer and paying the extra purchace price, will buy you some peace of mind, the bike will be straight, and you'll get at least 3 months warranty, and if you push your luck, probably some other gear as well. By you're own admission you know nothing about bikes, so your first wants to be a good one, so as not to put you off forever. Unless you have someone availible to assist you who knows motorcycles, spending some more money and buying from a reputable source is a wise move.

Going back to the original question, what then? Personally I wouldn't let it go that far, I would phone the guy up and tell him the deals off, but ultimately it's your shout.

hello, recently i purchased a 1999 Yamaha SR 125 off ebay for £450. and i need some advice as things seam to be dodgey, it was supposed to come on saturday however the owner couldn't find the V5 and so it has been delayed, i later found out (after he rang the DVLA) that no V5 had ever been issued and so this was the first one and therefore free, i have asked for the MOT certificates as i want proof that it is MOT'D. also when i tried to get a quote for the insurance using the registration plate the insurance company and comparison website stated that the registration plate and bike didnt exist, i tried doing a text check on the registration and again nothing, however upon going onto the DVLA website and putting in the registration the bike did pop up, same year and date of first registration and everything, i also checked the AskMID.com website to see if it was insured and it is. The owner did ask if i wanted to pay through paypal as it is more secure than cash but i already withdrew the money. also there is a new engine fitted to the bike from a previous owner so should the engine number match the v5? any help with this? im only 17 and thats a fair bit of my money im paying towards something that could be a lot of hassle. thanks

If he comes and all the docs match the bike I.e. the frame number matches and the MOT certificates are genuine and he has valid ID that matches the v5 what then?

Everything i have highlighted in red rings alarm bells in my head, the blue is the contradictions that ring even more.

Its never been registerd but it has insurance and is on the dvla website, so it must have documents. The insurance company web sites say it doesent exist, that could cost them business so i would be cautious again. As to the new engine pah for £450, it won't be a new motor it will be a 'rebuilt' or another motor at best, not new.

It stinks, really it does. Do what you can to get out of the deal, give him a deadline or claim missrepresentation, hell just tell him your skint and tyrekicking, and shop properly with someone who's opinion on M/C's you trust.

A bad first bike is the worst, like a bad first date.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online