XVS 650 head light question,

Noise
This post is 4688 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

Well i picked up my XVS 650 last Friday and she is going well , but the problem i have at the moment is that she is an import and has the little black sticker on the headlight to convert her and it looks tacky! i cant seem to find a genuine 650 Yammy head light any where (uk version) but can find a XVS125 head light easy,

Sooooo do you cleaver chaps know / think the 125 head light will fit in the bracket and just be a plug and play job rather than chopping wires etc?

All help is greatfully received

Rgds

Keith

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

IIRC, they're very different.

Can you not just take/scrape the sticker off?

IIRC, they're very different.

Can you not just take/scrape the sticker off?

Due to it being an Import the sticker needs to stay on in order to pass MOT's and be road legal on the roads, just like you cant buy car head lights from America as they are set up a different way as they drive on the right.

Sorry what does IIRC mean lol? not really up to date with the old shortened words :lol:

IIRC = 'If I Recall Correctly'.

I've picked up a few of the common internet-speak phrases from the young folk...

I had a quick Google around, but no-one really sells spare headlight assemblies, it seems.

There was one for a Classic on Amazon.com, but it was megabucks (and based in the US).

This could be an opportunity to get a custom one fitted...

Ah i see, i mean i am only 23 but i really cant be arsed with all this shortened lingo the only one i use a fair bit is the LOL phrase.

Yer i have been serching the net now for a good 2 days to find a new (UK) head light but keep coming up with a slap in the face and a V-Star head light so i think you are right and may have to bight the bullet and fit a custom / fits every bike light just wanted toy avoid cutting wires as i hate electrics and like wiring as standard as possible, fenders and tanks are easy to put back to standard but wires aren't :lol:

Cheers again

You can find ones that are designed for the 650 - They're just different from the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer, ie Yamaha supplied) one.

I would have expected something designed to fit a specific bike to have the appropriate block connectors, so you can just unplug one, plug the new one in and away ye go.

she is an import...

sorry to highjack your thread a little, i have a vstar 650 which is an import.... but mine was imported by me(from canada), did you have to get a kph to mph cover/sticker thing, or did it come with one, as i cant find one thats for the vstar/dragstar???

i will also need a headlight but ill stick to the sticker thing for now

joe

Don't shoot me for asking this but most motorcycle headlights don't dip left or right it stays central as that will put the beam in the proper place. Are you sure you need it.

My TDR headlight is fine straight from Japan (import) as that is central. All the bikes i've had none of them have dipped to one side.

Just a thought.

sorry to highjack your thread a little, i have a vstar 650 which is an import.... but mine was imported by me(from canada), did you have to get a kph to mph cover/sticker thing, or did it come with one, as i cant find one thats for the vstar/dragstar???

i will also need a headlight but ill stick to the sticker thing for now

joe

Hi Joe, My 650 came with a little gold block that converts the speedo cable to MPH and i have just got a MPH sticker on my clocks not sure where the previous owner got it from but im sure you can find one on e-bay?

As for the Head light on e-bay........my bid is in!

Hi Joe, My 650 came with a little gold block that converts the speedo cable to MPH - not sure where the previous owner got it from

Don't need a sticker if the cable converter is in place, AFAIK.

Converter can be had from any decent parts shop.

'MTC' and 'Motorcycle Parts Centre' in Reading can both get them.

I think the rason he put the sticker on is so that if you had a brain fart you could still see your in MPH and not KPH lol

i dont want to get the converter thing as it would mean the km on the clock would become miles

and i dont think you need to for an mot

and having 98K km on the clock it would then look like 98K miles

if i get the stickers that line up ill leave it all in km

• 2 weeks later...

hello again

i found another dragstar headlight on ebay, not the one listed above, and got it......., to replace mine.... BUT, i foolishly thought it would be the same size, and its not, its at least an inch if not more smaller diamiter, and looks stupid compared to the one on my vstar

does that mean the guy was lieing/wrong, and it is in fact not of a dragstar, or do the dragstar and vstar have different size headlight??

the one i got was off a 02 and my bike is an 99???

chears

joe

It could well be that the loverly chaps at Yamaha changed the design of the lights in those years but dont quote me on that. If he wrote down the messurments of the light and thay where the same as your light then it would be that he was giving false information but if he just said it was from a 02 bike then im afraid it would be that you ordered the wrong part in the eyes of E-bay.

Sorry to hear that your having dramas with it, i looked at my light last night whilst fitting my new wide flyer bars and its adjusted to the left so i just took off the sticker and if it fails the MOT next year then i will just put the sticker back on for the MOT then take it off again! simple :D